Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 03:08 PM

'Scary' glass bridges shut in Chinese province

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50230971

A Chinese province has shut all 32 of its glass attractions - including bridges, walkways and viewing decks - as safety checks are carried out.

The attractions, spread across 24 sites in Hebei province, have been shut since March 2018, said state media CCTV.

The move had not previously been widely reported.

China has seen a flurry of glass attractions spring up across the country - but there have been accidents and at least two deaths.

There are an estimated 2,300 glass bridges in China. According to state media outlet ECNS, there are also an "undetermined number of glass walkways or slides".

The glass attractions are an attempt to attract thrill-seeking tourists and capitalise on China's growing domestic tourism.

But earlier this year, one tourist died and six others were injured after they fell off a glass slide in Guangxi province.

Rain had made the glass extra slippery, causing the man to crash through the guardrail, and fly off the slide. He died from severe head injuries.

The death in Guangxi province was not the only glass attraction fatality. In 2017, a tourist died after an accident on a glass slide in Hubei.

And in 2016, someone was injured after being hit by falling rocks while walking on a glass walkway in the city of Zhangjiajie.

In 2015, a glass skywalk in Henan province cracked despite being open for only two weeks, sending tourists fleeing.
BIB - How many ......

There must have been lots of "unreported" accidents .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Re: 'Scary' glass bridges shut in Chinese province

I thought I was doing well by walking on the glass floor of The Spinnaker (Portsmouth). Not sure what I'd do if those bridges were open and I was faced with walking on one. The accidents would have to be taken into account.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Simple answer. Don't walk across a glass bridge. Hang-up sorted.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Simple answer. Don't walk across a glass bridge. Hang-up sorted.
Simple answer to what .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 07:35 PM

My legs are going all weird, just by looking at the plc of it.
It’s like a luxury wider version of what they have to walk on, on ‘I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here’!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

30-10-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My legs are going all weird, just by looking at the plc of it.
It’s like a luxury wider version of what they have to walk on, on ‘I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here’!
That reminds me:
The start date for the next series of the I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! 2019 has been confirmed.

The hotly anticipated show, which is fronted by Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, will return to screens on Sunday November 17 on ITV.

The likes of Kate Garraway, Jacqueline Jossa and Ian Wright are all rumoured to be bravely swapping their lavish lifestyles for the Australian jungle.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 12:36 AM

You wouldn't get me walking across a bridge like that for all the tea in China.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I thought I was doing well by walking on the glass floor of The Spinnaker (Portsmouth). Not sure what I'd do if those bridges were open and I was faced with walking on one. The accidents would have to be taken into account.
Never been to the Spinnaker, is it scary?
No way would I walk over that glass one.
Bad enough walking across the wooden one at Paignton zoo, specially if someones little darling comes across right behind you & jumps about & swings it or worse a class full of the little b*****... darlings. That did happen to me. I gave them a mouthful too. The teacher should have made them wait til I had crossed it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

31-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Never been to the Spinnaker, is it scary?
It's not scary at all:.

Blackpool Tower is scarier:

but long, windswept, swaying, slippery glass bridges with only tiny parapets preventing your fall into botomless gorges or raging rivers are another thing entirely .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It's not scary at all:.

Blackpool Tower is scarier:

but long, windswept, swaying, slippery glass bridges with only tiny parapets preventing your fall into botomless gorges or raging rivers are another thing entirely .....
They sure are.
That doesn't look too bad. At least it doesn't move under you. Good photo's Omah.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top