Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Re: Puppy Dead of Fright.

Well the Adapt calmer worked a treat last night when she settled she even ate a bit of food before bed.
This past week she as not been touching her food or drink just sitting shaking and in the mornings her bowl had been emptied as she would sneak down after midnight and have a midnight feast when all was quiet.
Really not a fan of these plug in the power socket smelly things because I feel they are not 100% safe because they tend to get hot.
So before I went to bed I switched it off,will turn it back on around 3 pm when the kids are coming home from school and the noise starts again.
That way it should also last a lot longer than the 30 days estimated on the box.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Glad you found something to help your poor dog, begfella.
I hate to see the animals so full of fear. Well done.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:24 AM

I would guess the poor puppy had a heart defect to begin with to have such a terrible reaction.

I desensitise new puppies to fireworks so fireworks = something pleasurable eg a game with toys and treats.

When I walk Chloe late at night and there are random fireworks Chloe never flinches while I jump a mile.

Amy the dog before Chloe was desensitised but when she was old suddenly developed a fear of fireworks. She had a degree of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction ) so I think her brain registered familiar sounds differently and she was terrified. So TV on loud and curtains drawn tightly on bonfire night.

I worry about the farm animals in the fields and the wildlife, fireworks must be terrifying for them . I have seen a herd of cows spooked charging around the field they could easily get hurt.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:44 AM

I have know Tirzah to sit in the window watching them, whilst Olivia hides behind the sofa.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would guess the poor puppy had a heart defect to begin with to have such a terrible reaction.

I desensitise new puppies to fireworks so fireworks = something pleasurable eg a game with toys and treats.

When I walk Chloe late at night and there are random fireworks Chloe never flinches while I jump a mile.

Amy the dog before Chloe was desensitised but when she was old suddenly developed a fear of fireworks. She had a degree of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction ) so I think her brain registered familiar sounds differently and she was terrified. So TV on loud and curtains drawn tightly on bonfire night.

I worry about the farm animals in the fields and the wildlife, fireworks must be terrifying for them . I have seen a herd of cows spooked charging around the field they could easily get hurt.

That's exactly what I thought too, Meg.

His photograph and this incident was mentioned on telly lunchtime when they were debating about fireworks.

Every single year the loudness of these bangs is debated but nothing is done, and they still get louder.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 03:35 PM

FWIW, our dog used to be very nervous with fireworks.
This time round he was fine. We have been giving him Serene-Um tablets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sere...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top