Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 01:25 AM

A plumbing question

As I walked past my living room this evening, I noticed out the corner of my eye, that little Gertie was laying in front of the fire quietly chewing one of her toys.

It didn't register until a few minutes later, that it wasn't a toy I recognised, so thought I'd best go back and see what she'd got.

Lucky I did, because it seems she had been poking around in the bathroom, probably looking for things to nick, and must have been delighted to find something new to add to her toybox.

I have a small wet room, and earlier on, I had taken that long plastic plug thingy (about 6" long) out of the shower plug hole to put some cleaning stuff down there.
I later went back and flushed it through, but must have forgotten to drop the plug cylinder thing back in the hole.
Gertie went in there and nicked it, and this is what she had taken into the living room.

Now the question is, can I buy a replacement 'plug' as she has chewed it and it doesn't fit too well in the hole any more.
I tried filing the tooth marks and chewed rough edges smoother and eventually managed to shove it back in the hole, but it really does need a new one.

Can I buy just that part, or is it a complete assembly I will need?

This is the culprit!

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 01:34 AM

Re: A plumbing question

This type of thing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcalpine-ST...3345968&sr=8-8
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 02:43 AM

It depends on whether you know the make of the shower trap or not. If you do, then you'll probably have to buy the whole assembly and discard most of it, keeping the but you need. They're normally under a tenner, so not the greatest hardship.

Your best bet is to go into a plumbing trade shop with the damaged item, or screwfix or tradepoint and ask them. They'll be able to bring out a selection on the offchance that something is close enough to the original.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 08:44 AM

Naughty Gertie - and she looks so innocent!!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 09:21 AM

I think you can buy them in Hardware shops MUPS, but you have to get the right size.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Poor Gertie, it looks like she is being sent to the norty corner
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:37 AM

So cute
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
This type of thing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcalpine-ST...3345968&sr=8-8

No, that one's not like mine Judsy, but thanks anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It depends on whether you know the make of the shower trap or not. If you do, then you'll probably have to buy the whole assembly and discard most of it, keeping the but you need. They're normally under a tenner, so not the greatest hardship.

Your best bet is to go into a plumbing trade shop with the damaged item, or screwfix or tradepoint and ask them. They'll be able to bring out a selection on the offchance that something is close enough to the original.

I have no idea what make of shower trap it is, Dex.
I think, as you say, it'll be best to take the chewed bit to a plumbing place and let them identify it.

I think it must be a few years old now, so whether that one is still made or not we'll have to see. Thank you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Poor Gertie, it looks like she is being sent to the norty corner

She bloomin' well is, little minx!

She pinches everything that isn't nailed down.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top