Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 11:45 PM

Re: Anyone know what this bird is?

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Long tailed tit....this time of year usually in groups high in the trees.That one doesn't look well.

I thought the same as you Poohdog.
Isn't it a bit late in the year to be a baby?

It can't be a baby this late in the year surely, so I'm guessing it is hunched up and bedraggled because it is either not well, or in shock. Birds 'fluff up' when they are cold too.

Wonder if it looks wet becuase it just escaped from a cat or dog's jaws? It looks cold and traumatised to me.
Poor little mite.

Aha, just noticed dongle said the picture was taken earlier in the year, so maybe it is a juvenile then.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I thought the same as you Poohdog.
Isn't it a bit late in the year to be a baby?

It can't be a baby this late in the year surely, so I'm guessing it is hunched up and bedraggled because it is either not well, or in shock. Birds 'fluff up' when they are cold too.

Wonder if it looks wet becuase it just escaped from a cat or dog's jaws? It looks cold and traumatised to me.
Poor little mite.
Longdogs took the photos some months ago Mups, he's only just came across the photos .....

I snapped this little bird in the garden a couple of months ago and have only just come across the pics on my camera.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a Long Tailed Tit and tbh, I have since seen a family of them in the garden but it was the red around the eyes that threw me. I agree, he doesn't look well and was a bit slow moving around. He did manage to flutter into my neighbours garden albeit not very well. I hope he survived.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Millions of baby birds die each year unseen by humans.Many of starvation.
The titmouse family in particular rely on tiny caterpillars and spiders in deciduous trees...if the tree has a bad year the effect on the food supply further down the chain can be calamitous.
Tits often have large clutches of eggs, which luckily gives them a chance to raise large families in a good season.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Millions of baby birds die each year unseen by humans.Many of starvation.
The titmouse family in particular rely on tiny caterpillars and spiders in deciduous trees...if the tree has a bad year the effect on the food supply further down the chain can be calamitous.
Tits often have large clutches of eggs, which luckily gives them a chance to raise large families in a good season.
Sad isn't it.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sad isn't it.
Yes it is sad, but it's the law of the survival of the fittest.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 03:08 PM

I am sorry Longy, but l didn’t know what the bird you posted is. I only know common birds!

I hope you don’t mind me being a cuckoo in your nest to ask if anyone knows what the bird is that was just in my garden now. l wondered if it was a type of woodpecker? It was about the same size.
It was grey in colour and towards its tail were two bands around its body.
One band was a distinct sky blue colour, a bit like the colour of a budgie. The other band was black.
It flew away before l could take a pic.

It’s a shame Nom still isn’t with us, he’d know what bird it was straight away!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Was it anything like this Art?

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Was it anything like this Art?

Mups, Thank You for taking the trouble to investigate. What size would that bird be? It was that sort of colouring. I had never seen anything like the colours before. They were beautiful.
The one l saw, wasn’t small like a sparrow or a tit but almost as big as a young pigeon.
It was a bit woodpeckerish in size, to me!
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Nice picture of a jay...a Corvid or member of the crow family.Mostly seen in woodland and the size of a feral pigeon.
Famous for hiding acorns and then forgetting them and probably responsible for the spread of oak forests many years ago.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top