Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Re: Who remembers the 'bomb' shelters?

I remember the Anderson shelters, we had one in our garden that you had to climb down into. I remember the planes going over one night and I was in my Mum's arms at the back door, she was too frightened to run up the garden with the searchlights picking out the planes flying overhead. My Dad had to run back to the back door and pull us along to the shelter.

We had makeshift bunks with blankets down there, candles for light. Being very young, my brother and I didn't really understand what was going on. We often slept in the shelter until the all clear siren went off.

In those days we lived within a mile of the aerodrome which made our area a target.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 04:40 PM

The way things are going, we might need some kind of anti-stabbing shelters on the high streets.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I remember the Anderson shelters, we had one in our garden that you had to climb down into. I remember the planes going over one night and I was in my Mum's arms at the back door, she was too frightened to run up the garden with the searchlights picking out the planes flying overhead. My Dad had to run back to the back door and pull us along to the shelter.

We had makeshift bunks with blankets down there, candles for light. Being very young, my brother and I didn't really understand what was going on. We often slept in the shelter until the all clear siren went off.

In those days we lived within a mile of the aerodrome which made our area a target.
Thats a word l remember Mags,'aerodrome'?
Donkeyman!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 05:13 PM

I remember the bomb shelters. The neighbours up the road & opposite had one in their garden, us kids used to play in it back in the late 40's/50's, don't know if it was ever used for it's purpose though.
Then back in the early 70's when we were looking for a bigger house we went to look at one in Staines & that had one in the garden, the then present occupants used it as a garden shed.
We didn't buy the house, it was on a main road. We moved to Devon instead.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't remember any bomb shelters, but I do remember big round concrete 'things' on the beach at Jaywick when I was little.

I think my Dad or Grandad said they were 'Gun turrets'?
They had little slit holes for windows.
AKA "pill boxes" ?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Unfortunately, not always Baz. I recall once reading about the most dreadful incident during the second world war. So found this article..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35938274

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...ich-killed-173
Thanks for the links shropshiregirl, I have never seen that. Such a lot of lives lost and from somewhere I would have thought the safest. I've never read much about the war years. My father was in the army, the Royal Engineers, but would never speak about any of it. Perhaps it was so bad for him that he just couldn't relate anything about it?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 06:02 PM

When l first came to England in 1953, we lived next door to a small green hilly area where the air raid shelters were. We referred to it as ‘the boards’. Not sure why?
It had a few brick topped areas with a ladder that led underground, l think they were built of concrete and we used to play in them.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 06:04 PM

My mum told me about another awful thing in an underground station in London . I may not have it correct but I believe a flooding happened , many died . Mum lived in the East end dock area .

Just found it

Balham underground was hit and water pipes burst .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My mum told me about another awful thing in an underground station in London . I may not have it correct but I believe a flooding happened , many died . Mum lived in the East end dock area .

Just found it

Balham underground was hit and water pipes burst .
Searched for what you posted and found this:

http://ww2today.com/14th-october-194...m-tube-station

Also another one similar in nature but without loss of life:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...l-sealed-shut/
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Thanks Baz . Tragic reading . How on earth did people cope .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top