Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Re: You Never See Women Scrubbing Their Front Doorstep Any More...So..

Hi

We used to have to do it for my Gran when she got older.

The houses fronted directly onto the streets.

Mondays were washing days, lines strung across the street from one house to another.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Every couple of years in the Spring I get the jet washer out and give the exterior of the house a blast with it, including the stonework in the garden, the patio and the front of the house. Our doorstep has two outer porch doors on it so it's now between those doors and the inner doors. It does need a clean though sometime.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

16-09-2018, 04:11 PM

They still do in lovely Switzerland.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Moscow, Are they living in a bit of a time warp up there?

They live fully in the 21st century, but many folk are very traditional in many respects.

I think up here tradition=identity.

It's not all good.I don't like it when I see the kids covered in soot with burns on their feet and faces tbh.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I like to think us women woke up since then. What a drudgery thing to do. Thank goodness things move on
Aysa, I think it all changed, when we burnt our bras!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We used to have to do it for my Gran when she got older.

The houses fronted directly onto the streets.

Mondays were washing days, lines strung across the street from one house to another.
swimmy, Did you have to wash the pavement too! I bet there wasn’t much chewing gum ground into the pavements then?!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I do both the front and back doorsteps, but with a mop and bucket. I do them whenever I do the kitchen and bathroom floors. Floors first then the steps.
That's what I do pretty much.

I live in a three storey Edwardian house that fronts on to the street which is split into three flats with a communal stairwell.
My partner and I own the whole building in fact , so when I clean the communal stairwell ( which has two lovely , wide, double winder pitch pine staircases stained a deep chestnut brown) I swab the staircases and do the front and back sandstone steps with a mop and bucket. Those external steps aren't painted.

I don't actually scrub the steps.I see other folk in the street also swabbing and occasionally scrubbing their steps though. .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
...what happened? Some even washed the pavement outside their house!

Nor, do you see women on their knees polishing the doorstep with Cardinal Red Polish. We still have doorsteps, so what happened? When and why did they stop?

Maybe, you can think of some more You Never See....
Not true Art, for years I always slapped on the Red Cardinal polish on my front doorstep, It used to be gleaming.
Unfortunately, can't do it anymore due to wonky knees. I wouldn't dream of asking HWMO to do it as he would draw the line at any of the neighbours seeing him down on his knees polishing the step!! That would be one step too much for him!

All I can manage now is getting rid of the cobwebs with my hoover attachment and washing the step with a mop and bucket. Hey ho!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

16-09-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Not true Art, for years I always slapped on the Red Cardinal polish on my front doorstep, It used to be gleaming.
Unfortunately, can't do it anymore due to wonky knees. I wouldn't dream of asking HWMO to do it as he would draw the line at any of the neighbours seeing him down on his knees polishing the step!! That would be one step too much for him!

All I can manage now is getting rid of the cobwebs with my hoover attachment and washing the step with a mop and bucket. Hey ho!
SG, l think you need to get your two little dogs trained up!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Anyone still use Bleach for cleaning. I always have a bottle of it on my shopping list. No matter what extras I get for the toilet, unless I can squeeze the bleach bottle around the rim when I've finished cleaning it, it doesn't feel completely clean. (it always reminds me of my home when growing up, mum used it on anything that would take bleach and make it sparkle).

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top