Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Banned word of the day!

I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to type it, just in case my post is picked up by GCHQ and they send the men in suits round.

What is this word that is considered so bad and so insulting that a TV presenter has been questioned over using it on air and ITV have officially banned it?

Best you look for yourself I suppose, warning, some viewers might find this story upsetting if not hilarious.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...presenter.html
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Re: Banned word of the day!

That's ridiculous, I don't see anything wrong with that word at all
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 03:05 PM

These days it seems to be a case of ..... What words can we say?

Soon, we will be talking like robots with only permitted words programmed into us!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 03:48 PM

I doubt many people would use that word anyway. I could substitute it for a much worse word.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 04:37 PM

That's one (of many) advantage of being a polyglot. As for uppity, words can become offensive with time as well as as well as changing in the way that "racism" has.

Niggardly is another non-u word now.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 04:46 PM

I think it is better than oppity. lol
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Can't see a problem with that, there are so many words that are worse then that.

I was watching Nagga on the BBC News the other day, wearing a skirt and big Lime Green Trainers. Surely if you are aired on the TV in full viewing you should wear something sensible.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Soon, we will be talking like robots with only permitted words programmed into us!
It's getting that way already! I have to think twice now before anything is said concerning ethnic minorities or religion, just in case someone attaches a completely different meaning to my words.

I am not racist but am getting to wondering why on earth all this is going on in the country I was born in seven or more decades ago, this is getting to no longer being the country of the indigenous population but that of those who seek to cause these problems.

There's no mention of the alternative meaning of that 'banned' word in the dictionaries I use either.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/uppity

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/uppity

Maybe I have missed something here but if so then I am not aware of doing so.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:12 PM

I suppose it's better than saying she's up her own arse.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

We might have to run all conversations past lawyers in future before saying them.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top