Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Don't get older or become infirm so need social care …

I was just looking through the news pages, trying to catch-up as I've missed quite a few days recently, when I saw this news item about the care system and how it's letting us down. Interesting, and also frightening, to see the cost of care per week in various parts of the country:

"The care system helps older and disabled people with day-to-day tasks like washing, dressing, eating and medication.

It is under pressure across the UK after past governments failed to reform or fund the council-run system properly.

Experts believe the problems are now so acute that politicians who ignore the issue at this election, do so at their peril."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50377846

What are your comments on what is happening to all that was at one time good about the care system in this country?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Re: Don't get older or become infirm so need social care …

I may be wrong but I get the impression that the older you are the less care you get from people like GPs. The attitude seems to be "He's almost at the bottom of the hill now so why bother"
I live about five miles from the surgery but even though I am over ninety they will no come out to seen me. If I can't get there to see them then it's tough.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:23 PM

Sadly I think that you are right Ben .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I may be wrong but I get the impression that the older you are the less care you get from people like GPs. The attitude seems to be "He's almost at the bottom of the hill now so why bother"
I live about five miles from the surgery but even though I am over ninety they will no come out to seen me. If I can't get there to see them then it's tough.
I get that impression too. The few times I've had to call the surgery I get fobbed off so don't bother, luckily the problem rights itself. Last time I phoned it was for a none delivered prescription, pharmacy said they hadn't received it & the surgery said they hadn't got one, but my Son took it down said I, They said, but it was put in too early so probably destroyed. Then, said I, why wasn't I informed it was too early so it could be collected then re-sent. No idea was the reply, but you should have been informed. I then had to get my Daughter to go to the surgery, fill in a form for me so the Doc could redo my prescription. Stupid! I have been on the same medication for years.

Heaven help me if I ever need residential care, think I'd rather kill myself.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:32 PM

This is why we have to bang the drum to the younger people that the biggest fight and preparation they have to conduct NOW is for a person they are a long time in meeting - their older selves.

The younger self is the only one (not family, not government, not neighbors, not friends, not the church not private organizations) who can be depended on for the care of the older one.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
This is why we have to bang the drum to the younger people that the biggest fight and preparation they have to conduct NOW is for a person they are a long time in meeting - their older selves.
Your system is different to ours tho. You have insurance, we have the NHS.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I get that impression too. The few times I've had to call the surgery I get fobbed off so don't bother, luckily the problem rights itself. Last time I phoned it was for a none delivered prescription, pharmacy said they hadn't received it & the surgery said they hadn't got one, but my Son took it down said I, They said, but it was put in too early so probably destroyed. Then, said I, why wasn't I informed it was too early so it could be collected then re-sent. No idea was the reply, but you should have been informed. I then had to get my Daughter to go to the surgery, fill in a form for me so the Doc could redo my prescription. Stupid! I have been on the same medication for years.

Heaven help me if I ever need residential care, think I'd rather kill myself.
Me too Tiff .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

18-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Me too Tiff .
Sad isn't it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-11-2019, 07:45 PM

It’s quite frightening .
The future doesn’t look inviting .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Your system is different to ours tho. You have insurance, we have the NHS.
Hi, Tiffany. Medicare insurance for the elderly is limited in that you don't always have options as to whom you see and the level of care you desire unless you are able/willing to pay extra for it.
Educate me here, can't you likewise go outside of NHS if you are able/willing to pay for it?

We have a desperate need for gerontologists over here, but there is no money it and it's not exactly a glamour field.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top