Join for free
Page 34 of 35 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 09:34 PM

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Tashie was a Goth for along time, yes it was a choice but it was a dangerous one, several have been killed or injured dreadfully in the last few years. They are peaceful, quiet young people who rarely if ever fight back. Beaten to death and they don't fight back ......
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well of course there is no connection, I was using it to illustrate how dangerous it is to be different from the norm. Why is it everything said is taken so literally can we not illustrate points using things unconnected with the subject ?
No more dangerous than for normal people I'd say, normal folk get assaulted and bashed ev'ry day, wrong place wrong time more often than not
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 01:53 PM

You may need to do some research on that one as Goths are much more likely to be "bashed" than anyone else walking along the street, along with Gay people and in some areas black people. And they are bashed for their difference to mainstream society a hatred some people seem to have for things they do not understand.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

13-06-2013, 02:46 PM

agree Julie - racism runs deep in all groups and societies and is often covered up in the pretend world.
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 02:48 PM

It seems to me that if we’re going to start equating anti-goth sentiment with racism or homosexuality etc then we’ve nowhere to stop. We might as well extend that equation to anybody else disliked on the basis of their clothing, such as football fans in the wrong stand.

Could we have a problem in that we have no hierarchy of offence? We condemn gropers so hard that we can only condemn actual rapists very slightly more. Similarly, between a race-murderer and a man who shouts ‘n**ger’ in the street, we barely draw a distinction.

I understand the reasons for that, in a zero-tolerance sort of way, but it leaves us with problems. And one of them is the way that when a young, clever and interesting girl gets murdered by thugs in a park, we somehow end up believing it only happened because there’s no law against laughing at people for wearing silly clothes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Hatred based on anything is rather stupid IMO, and we should come down hard on anyone who assaults anyone for any reason. I am not sure why we can't equate all crimes of hate equally, all people who hate are horrible people who should be treated the same.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

13-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Were do we stop Markey? - call it what you will be the dislike [hatred] of Goths or Mods and Rockers from years gone by or blacks or muslims or whatever is a 'racism' in another name - royalists hated parlimentarians - shiites hate sunnis etc etc - it's a human slur - we hate what is not similar to ourselves - call it what you will - racism is just another word for 'hatred' and it needs to stop!
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
Were do we stop Markey? - call it what you will be the dislike [hatred] of Goths or Mods and Rockers from years gone by or blacks or muslims or whatever is a 'racism' in another name - royalists hated parlimentarians - shiites hate sunnis etc etc - it's a human slur - we hate what is not similar to ourselves - call it what you will - racism is just another word for 'hatred' and it needs to stop!

Hatred is a strong term that goes beyond simply causing offence or hostility. I have been told that officially hate crime is any criminal offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by an offender's hatred of someone because of their:
race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins
religion
gender or gender identity
sexual orientation
disability

Of course no one should be attacked, not for ANY reason whatsoever (I'm not talking about self defence) but there will always be a minority of bullying loonies around and very frighteningly we will very, very occasionally get a murderous loonie. No amount of legislation will change the psyche of those people.

But I still feel you cannot equate mods, rockers, goths or punks with race, colour, disability or homosexuality. The first four are a conscious lifestyle choice (that anyone is perfectly entitled to make and their choice should be respected if it doesn't harm anyone) the last four are not a matter of choice. They are something over which the person has no control.

(Let me be clear, I totally agree that any perpetrator of any attack should be subject to the full weight of the law)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Being a Goth is IMO akin to a religion for most of them, and religion it's self is a decision too as many people change religions etc during their life times.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 06:06 AM

A bit like Hells Angels then ?

Page 34 of 35 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top