Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Re: Ice melting / Fly infestations?

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Then we are in agreement OGF!
One more question though,,?
What is the rotational speed of the world at the poles?
And would you express it in mph or rpd?

Regards Donkeyman!
Here's a mind bender for you:

As your approach the poles, the velocity approaches 0 MPH.

No matter where you are on the globe, RPD is 1.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can't answer that donkeyman, but if we have not already gone through 'the point of no return' I feel we must be close.
The worrying thing is, people are not heeding warnings and are still carrying on regardless.

Even if we stopped burning fossil fuels and cutting down forests now, the greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere would continue to warm our planet for decades. And we are not even stopping yet.

We wait and wait for people in authority to tell us what to do instead of learning and thinking for ourselves.

The write up I was reading said we call ALL do small things to help make a difference, but the majority of people don't seem willing to give anything up.

Quote: "Everything we buy, watch, eat and wear takes energy to make, and because of 80% of the worlds's energy comes from fossil fuels, that creates even more greenhouse gases.

"Food is a good place to start. Why not find out where our food comes from and how it was produced. Many foods that go off quickly are flowin in by aeroplane - a huge source of greenhouse gases."

In my opinion, as someone said earlier, it doesn't help because we have come to all expect 'out of season' fruit & veg, which inevitable comes from abroad.

We'll have to grow our own again, and all keep some hens for fresh eggs for a start! Pity I haven' got my dairy goats any more too!
Excellent post Mups !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
As I was just emptying the clothes dryer these thoughts came to me:

What if we thought about our participation in curbing anthropogenic climate change in the same way we approach car safety?

Every time we get in a car, we put on our seatbelts. Further, most of us drive safely, and we make sure are cars are in safe operating condition.

We don't plan to get into a serious car accident and there is no guarantee we will involved in one, but the probability is out there. We wear our seatbelts because we know that the laws of physics are against us and there is plenty of data out there that reports that accidents could happen. None of us are walking around with those statistics in our heads; we have just accumulated that understanding through the news, photos, and anecdotes from people we know.

One of us not wearing a seatbelt will not make a difference to the overall statistics in regards to deaths and serious injuries. However, as we have all begun to wear them, and through demand require improved safety design in all cars those numbers (as a percent of population) have dropped significantly.

This could be a good analogy for anthropogenic climate change. Just like we can never completely stop the deaths and injuries associated with driving (or eliminate the laws of physics that can sometime hurt us), we can bet on curbing the effects.

More, we have collectively decided that the potential wasted cost of seatbelts and safety design is worth the risk of never getting in an accident. When we get in our cars, we take the conservative approach to the potential of harm, by putting on our seatbelts, driving safely, and maintaining safe cars. With micro changes in our behavior, we have reduced the potential for harm on a macro scale.

Why wouldn't we make a few changes in our behavior (not to say that we aren't already) not to do the same when it comes to climate? Even if the models, data, and scientists are wrong, isn't it worth the cost and effort - even if macro climate change is outside of our ability to affect it in any way?

I'm glad my dad always told me to put on my seatbelt and more clothes on the line.
Another good post well said .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Would it be like standing on a roundabout Donkeyman....?????
Only if you stood in the centre of the rotational axis OGF!
Otherwise unless you held on you would be thrown off at
a tangent
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Here's a mind bender for you:

As your approach the poles, the velocity approaches 0 MPH.

No matter where you are on the globe, RPD is 1.
So the speed of rotation at the poles would be expressed as
Zero mph then SM?
But if you were standing at the polar axis and the planet suddenly
stopped rotating which way would you be thrown? If at all?

BRegards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Just a quick post concerning Methane Surfermom.....

Apparently it is produced by decaying organic material that can be found on the seabed, lakes, ponds and forest floors.
There are enormous quantities trapped in the polar ice, which has been held in suspension for thousands of years. Now due to the melting of Arctic Ice it is being released into the atmosphere at a rate greater than has been monitored before and it makes flatulence by domestic and farm animals miniscule by comparison. A side effect of all this decaying matter in the Arctic is fly infestations.

So catch 22. As the Methane produces a greenhouse effect (150 times more effective than CO2) and helps to melt the ice, so more methane is released and increases the greenhouse effect even more....The tipping point may have already been reached!

My apologies if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs.....

Good post OGF, exactly why l put the exponential growth of the
fly populations in artic and sub artic Russia and Alaska in my OP!
The signs are there that things are tipping allready as you say!
But as Surfamum says, we have nothing to lose by modifying our
behaviour, only a bit of money!
What is disturbing though is that there are no signs of aircraft
manufacture being reduced, or these multi storey mobile towns
Cruising the world cutting back?
Fiddling while Rome burns comes to mind!

Regards Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Good post OGF, exactly why l put the exponential growth of the
fly populations in artic and sub artic Russia and Alaska in my OP!
The signs are there that things are tipping allready as you say!
But as Surfamum says, we have nothing to lose by modifying our
behaviour, only a bit of money!
What is disturbing though is that there are no signs of aircraft
manufacture being reduced, or these multi storey mobile towns
Cruising the world cutting back?

Fiddling while Rome burns comes to mind!

Regards Donkeyman!
This was a surprise Donkeyman.....

Fashion: is it a dirty word? Although it doesn’t have the reputation of, say, the oil industry, it is making a sizeable contribution to warming the planet – the fashion industry was responsible for 1.7 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2015, according to the Pulse of the Fashion Industry Report (to put things in perspective, that’s only slightly less than Russia).

The fashion industry produced almost 5% of manmade CO2 emissions in 2015 – more than aviation and shipping combined.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-10-2019, 11:43 AM

This was a surprise Donkeyman.....

Fashion: is it a dirty word? Although it doesn’t have the reputation of, say, the oil industry, it is making a sizeable contribution to warming the planet – the fashion industry was responsible for 1.7 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2015, according to the Pulse of the Fashion Industry Report (to put things in perspective, that’s only slightly less than Russia).

The fashion industry produced almost 5% of manmade CO2 emissions in 2015 – more than aviation and shipping combined.
Yes that is very surprising OGF! Could that be because of the
amounts of plastics we insist on including in our materials nowadays?
I know that l have trouble getting pure cotton shirts or underpants?
Which l find to be much more comfortable to wear than the injection
moulded alternatives on sale at present!? Cotton is also completely
biodegradeable!
Regards Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 07:02 PM

Yes that is very surprising OGF! Could that be because of the
amounts of plastics we insist on including in our materials nowadays?
I know that l have trouble getting pure cotton shirts or underpants?
Which l find to be much more comfortable to wear than the injection
moulded alternatives on sale at present!? Cotton is also completely
biodegradeable!
Regards Donkeyman!
All my running kit is cotton Donkeyman, can't stand wearing synthetic materials......
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

16-10-2019, 07:51 PM

All my running kit is cotton Donkeyman, can't stand wearing synthetic materials......
Wished l could still run OGF!But l agree cotton is far superior in
my book, but showflakes would'nt know anything about that?
Another thought l have had on this theme is that all the synthetic
materials we now use are based on oil, so who is to blame for the
pollution? The fashion lndustry, or, the oil industry??
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top