Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 04:43 AM

Sheilas

There's some really interesting girls doing pop in Oz and Nz at the moment.This is one :

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 04:46 AM

Re: Sheilas

Another:

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 05:29 AM

Why are females in OZ known as 'Sheilas'? What is the history behind that?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Why are females in OZ known as 'Sheilas'? What is the history behind that?
"Sheila" is an old world Australia term. Like "Cobber" (Friend) or "Bonza" (Very good). AS far as I know it has Irish origins. You might find some younger people using the term as a nostalgic joke or when they are being an "exaggerated Australian" To amuse a tourist; Usually an English one. But you wouldn't find anybody under 95 years old using it in a serious sense. Women don't generally like being called "Sheilas" much. There is a theory that it used to connotate sex work but that is apochryphal. MOre broadly it is simply a woman who likes the company of men and has a sense of humour. It was seldom meant as a derogatory term for women I think. Same as "Pom" is seldom meant as a derogatory term for English. In my experience it has more often been a rough edged compliment to a woman. Like "She's not stuck up (Snobbish) she's a good sheila.
Psmith
melbourne australia

11-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Sorry,cobber.I have to dis-agree.After considerable research I have discovered it is because all the women on the first ship to arrive were called Sheila.

I've been here 13 years and this is the first time I've seen it used.
Psmith
melbourne australia

11-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Sorry,cobber.I have to dis-agree.After considerable research I have discovered it is because all the women on the first ship to arrive were called Sheila.

I've been here 13 years and this is the first time I've seen it used.
When I arrived in the mid 60s, sheila, cobber, zac, fair dinkum, wog (meaning illness), crook (meaning sick or bad) were all in common use but over the years they have slowly been discarded with the Americanisation of the language. You still hear them used occasionally in the bush by old fellas.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 04:12 AM

Yes Drongos, Poms, Ockers He's a dag! But you're right you don't hear them as often as you used to.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 05:18 AM

Thank you for all the answers!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When I arrived in the mid 60s, sheila, cobber, zac, fair dinkum, wog (meaning illness), crook (meaning sick or bad) were all in common use but over the years they have slowly been discarded with the Americanisation of the language. You still hear them used occasionally in the bush by old fellas.
I agree with most of those there. But I think many people still use crook for sick. I still say "fair dinkum" myself all the time. I'm no bushie. City boy through and through. It's just something I have always said and never thought of stopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top