Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 04:15 AM

Fixed My Mower

I recently bought a new Victa mower. I was going to buy one anyway because the frame of my old mower was rusting through (I don't look after them). Anyway the decision was made for me when the motor on the old mower wouldn't start at all.

When I say rust I mean rust

My new mower is fine but now that the grass is about to stop growing I decided to fix the motor on the old mower. It had to be the carbi because there was spark and compression.

Anyway ripped the carbi off and discovered the cause. There must have been water sitting in the bottom of the bowl of the carbi causing some corrosion which had basically blocked the jets. I suspect this was because ages ago I used some E10 fuel in the mower, ethanol has an affinity for water and mowers do tend to sit around for a while with fuel in their tank. (for this reason I only use unleaded in my generators)

Cleaned it all up, cleaned both the jets, put it back together and it is fine, runs perfectly, starts first pull. Now I shall go round the streets on garbage day looking for someone throwing their mower away so I can get the base off it. Then I can give the mower to someone who needs it.

I also discovered why the kill switch has been playing up, the case had been damaged. (right centre)

BTW the engine is a Chinese copy of a Briggs and Stratton made for Victa but I notice in my latest mower they have gone back to using proper Briggs and Stratton though from my point of view there is nothing wrong with this engine.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200404 012 Mower Carbi Repair.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	12119   Click image for larger version

Name:	200404 002 Mower Carbi Repair.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	12120   Click image for larger version

Name:	200404 007 Mower Carbi Repair.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	12121   Click image for larger version

Name:	200404 009 Mower Carbi Repair.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	12122   Click image for larger version

Name:	200404 004 Mower Carbi Repair.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	12123  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top