Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 11:40 AM

Re: Laundry advise, Please!

I use these regularly:

White Vinegar

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/laundry-pr...white-vinegar/

Essential care for your clothes... and your Washing Machine!

Though renowned for its surface cleaning properties, White Vinegar’s is also an incredibly effective stain remover. Acetic acid, White Vinegar’s active ingredient, cuts through tough dirt & grime and its handy trigger spray makes for ease of application on even the toughest areas.

White Vinegar helps remove limescale and can be used in place of fabric conditioner; ideal for people with skin sensitivities. It will stop fluffy towels from going stiff and helps keep your washing machine healthy by fighting limescale and mould/mildew. Like conditioner, it will of course help prevent static. Simply use as much as you would of fabric conditioner and pour it in the fabcon slot. It's also ideal for people with skin sensitivities.

If you haven't descaled your washing machine recently, you should use citric acid to eliminate any scale that may have built up.
Citric Acid

Much of the UK experiences hard water. Limescale build up in your washing machine means that you are wasting electricity and it can ultimately reduce the service life of your machine. Remove any existing limescale by running a maintenance wash using a whole 250g packet of Citric Acid. Repeat the process at least every other month and help reduce limescale build up in the first place by softening your water by adding soda crystals or borax substitute in your regular wash. You can also use dissolved citric acid or white vinegar in the place of laundry softener.
Soda Crystals

Soda Crystals have been around for generations and are often referred to as 'washing soda' for good reason. Before the invention of modern washing powder, they were one of the most popular laundry products and were renowned for their ability to cut through tough stains and dirt on grubby clothes. They are useful in a variety of laundry tasks and are simply a versatile, one-bag solution for all your laundry needs!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 12:10 PM

Thank you, Omah, good tips there. Will stock up on white vinegar and soda crystals next time I escape to the shops.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you, Omah, good tips there. Will stock up on white vinegar and soda crystals next time I escape to the shops.
In my area, Home Bargains are the cheapest supermarket for Dri-Pak products, but I order, in bulk, online from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

although I notice that the price for white vinegar has increased by 15% since last year .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks once again - just placed an order!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-04-2020, 01:26 PM

Thanks once again - just placed an order!
I should add that, since using DP products on a regular basis, my washing machine not only looks but still smells like new …..

The DP site is a mine of information:

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/tips/laundry-cleaning-tips/

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 04:09 PM

When doing a "service wash", Val always puts a cupful of washing soda (no other detergent or softener) into the empty drum before starting a 90°C washing cycle.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 01:58 AM

I don't know if this interests you:

For many years now I have been making my own Laundry liquid out of safe ingredients which works very well and is safe to put on plants etc - I used to put the water out of the washing machine on my garden during the millennium drought.

What you need:

• 100 grams pure soap = 1 cake purest soap
• 1 cup washing soda
• 1 cup white vinegar
• 3 teaspoons eucalypt or tea tree oil
• A few drops of lemon or lavender essential oil for perfume
• 10 litres of cold water
• 9 litres of hot water.

What to do:

1. Grate the soap or slice strips off with a vegie peeler and place into a large saucepan and cover with 2 litres of cold water.
2. Bring to boil & add washing soda crystals, and stir until melted.
3. Stir in eucalyptus oil, vinegar and essential oil.
4. Pour into a bucket and add 9 litres of hot water and then stir in 8 litres of cold water.
5. Leave to cool and when cool transfer to smaller containers and label.

Good when used for:

• Laundry detergent for front and top loading machines and hand washing. 2-3 cups depending on load size
• Pre-soaker for heavily soiled items
• Washing-up liquid 10-20 ml/10 litres of water.
Store it in 1 and 2 litre plastic fruit juice containers.
Stay clean and green

I forget where I got that from but it was a very long time ago. I don't always bother with the 8 litres of cold water but just let it cool and it sets as a gel which is still OK to pour. Just use less per wash

Doesn't use anything poisonous like borax
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

19-04-2020, 07:20 AM

That sounds great, Bruce. Might try and make some - does it keep well?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 09:48 AM

That sounds great, Bruce. Might try and make some - does it keep well?
Oh yes doesn't go off as I say I have used it for years without any problems and I don't have that much washing so a batch lasts me months. It is dirt cheap to make, all the ingredients are in any supermarket, I use the no name pure bath soap tablet which are 100gm grated with my cheese grater. I don't bother with the essential oils either.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:31 AM

Careful - you'll have Judd and Longdogs round!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top