Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 10:46 AM

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Electricity heating is a bit more expensive but nowhere near as more expensive as people believe before digging into it and the flexibility it offers is a saver in itself. Differential charges (economy 7 bis.) Is typically one Third of normal charges and with modern storage heaters WILL heat a house more than adequately when correctly specified and installed plus for the very few times we have extreme cold spells use of portable electric fires is the solution.

Then in addition to the controllable costs the recurring fixed costs need to be considered.

Maintenance contract charges which can easily run to well over £100 pa and then being told your installation is "beyond economic repair" at a surprisingly early date and get offered a refund on the current year "but we can also give you a discount of --- on a new installation".

Then there's the cost of eventual replacement to consider. Boiler life of 10 to 15 years is claimed but that is not the time before failure, it's the time to being clapped out and is much more likely to be closer to ten - either way - it's another £2500 which means a sum of £250 has to be added to the annual recurring cost.

Sorta gives a different picture when these things are opened up eh?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Then there's the cost of eventual replacement to consider. Boiler life of 10 to 15 years is claimed but that is not the time before failure, it's the time to being clapped out and is much more likely to be closer to ten - either way - it's another £2500 which means a sum of £250 has to be added to the annual recurring cost.

Sorta gives a different picture when these things are opened up eh?
Interesting point about £250 actual additional hidden "running" cost in terms of replacement fund.

How does this compare in terms of the replacement costs of electric heaters coupled with the higher price of fuel? It's also worth noting that cables do not have an indefinite working life and might need replacing too!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 11:03 AM

I think you've already decided to do this, but I'd suggest a replacement worcester bosch with a guarantee (I think it's ten years) and fitted by an accredited worcester bosch engineer who can then service it once a year. I recommend annual service for the guarantee, but not the waste of time maintenance contracts.

In the meantime looking into improving your home insulation. That way you won't need to use so much energy.

They won't be replacing existing gas boilers any time soon and certainly not for the life of the boiler. It's only new builds that are 2025.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 11:06 AM

There are a lot of different and possibly better manufacturers than WB!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Interesting point about £250 actual additional hidden "running" cost in terms of replacement fund.

How does this compare in terms of the replacement costs of electric heaters coupled with the higher price of fuel? It's also worth noting that cables do not have an indefinite working life and might need replacing too!
This is based on "all other things being equal", which they never are.

I'd rather have jam today. In the future anything could change so best not make any assumptions. The fact that electricity is being pushed now doesn't mean that will always be the case. It could be a bit like the diesel car fiasco.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-04-2020, 11:10 AM

There are a lot of different and possibly better manufacturers than WB!
Maybe but there are many worse too. Worcester bosch seem to stand the test of time. They work without any fuss.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

26-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
In the meantime looking into improving your home insulation. That way you won't need to use so much energy.

They won't be replacing existing gas boilers any time soon and certainly not for the life of the boiler. It's only new builds that are 2025.
It would be a wonderful thing if a boiler could be designed based on dual fuel so that, for example, it can utilise cheaper electricity rates overnight and thus reduce the amount of gas burn during these times.

Best of both worlds.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-04-2020, 11:12 AM

It would be a wonderful thing if a boiler could be designed based on dual fuel so that, for example, it can utilise cheaper electricity rates overnight and thus reduce the amount of gas burn during these times.

Best of both worlds.
They have said that the dual fuel cars are a waste of space. It's just complicates matters and leads to problems that you wouldn't have with a simpler system. It's like combi boilers or washer dryers. One thing goes wrong and the whole thing breaks.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

26-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Maybe but there are many worse too. Worcester bosch seem to stand the test of time. They work without any fuss.
In fairness, not everyone has the same experience and indeed the fact that the op's WB boiler seems to have failed beyond economic repair is an indicator.

As suggested earlier, a quick look on diynot will enable a more informed choce to be made with advice from a plethora of time served professionals.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Considerably less. The life of a storage heater is very long, typically 25 years plus, and the cost for a good, ie non basic thing, is £200 - £250. About in the event of failure it would be exceptional that the whole thing would need to be replaced instead it would usually just be the heating element

The question of how often electric feeds to them need to be replaced can be answered by how often does a house need to be rewired because domestic night storage heaters generally use the existing house ring main.

Differential charging is achieved at the electricity meter, especially straightforward in the case of Smart meters.

Then there is the unquestionable benefit to our environment of avoiding the pollution resulting from burning fossil fuel. For us that was the BIG one.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top