Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Re: Your single most important question about losing weight

If you've tried to lose weight and get fit in the past I would like to hear what you find/found the most difficult in losing the weight and keeping it off
I didn't find it difficult to lose weight at all once I realised I must do so for health reasons. I lost a stone last year and maintained a steady weight through the winter. Now summer is here I will lose a little more weight.

Forget diets, they are a waste of time, people lose weight and promptly put it back again.
To lose weight and maintain the weight loss calls for a permanent change of lifestyle.

There is no mystery to losing weight, eat a good variety of fresh non processed food and keep the portions small.

To keep fit, regular small amounts of exercise are a good start for example walking 20 mins twice a day at a pace that allows you to talk but not to sing.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 04:08 PM

What's funny about the sugar thing is it's now starting to sound like the days where they told us real butter was better for you than margarine. Can't argue that, as margarine is full of a bunch of stuff I can't even pronounce and USED to be full of partially hydrogenated oils, which is now banned from food products in the U.S.

But the sugar thing is sounding very similar. Everywhere you look, you see products proudly spouting "Made with real sugar!" because now artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup are the enemies. So they're bashing into people's heads that it's 'better' for you to consume real sugar than sweeteners and syrups.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Everywhere you look, you see products proudly spouting "Made with real sugar!" because now artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup are the enemies. So they're bashing into people's heads that it's 'better' for you to consume real sugar than sweeteners and syrups.
The sugar conglomerates are simply drug pushers. They have been selling the equivalent of Cocaine for years. They are not about to give up their MASSIVE multi-billion dollar business.

It is up to US the consumers to kick them into touch and to reject their horrible products completely, which is of course really hard as sugar is as addictive as a Class A drug.

But we DO have to do it.

Sugar is killing us.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is no mystery to losing weight, eat a good variety of fresh non processed food
This is completely true. It's all we need to do.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
and keep the portions small.
This is the only part I slightly disagree with.

Since everyone is different, physiologically, and everyone has different lifestyles, we need to each determine what levels of food our bodies need. People who are largely sedentary won't need much food as they are not expending much energy, whereas those grafting or engaging in lots of sport, activities etc will need more energy.

How do you determine what you need?

You'll know when your body tells you that it is hungry.

If you just eat when you sense your body wants food then all will be well.

A key problem here is that SUGAR fools your brain and after the initial pleasure rush it produces, it then leaves you feeling hungry, when in fact your body isn't hungry at all.

So getting sugar out of our lives is imperative.

But otherwise, let your body tell you when it wants food.

I personally found that this changed my eating schedule completely. The age old regime of breakfast, lunch, dinner went out of the window. And so it should.

I found I needed breakfast, then something at 11am, then something at 3pm then something 6-7pm and maybe a small snack at 9-10pm (say a bit of cheese for example).

I lost a stone in not time by simply listening to my body and only eating when it wanted food.

I guess in truth the portions probably were smaller as you actually suggested. So a case of less but more often.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The sugar conglomerates are simply drug pushers. They have been selling the equivalent of Cocaine for years. They are not about to give up their MASSIVE multi-billion dollar business.

It is up to US the consumers to kick them into touch and to reject their horrible products completely, which is of course really hard as sugar is as addictive as a Class A drug.

But we DO have to do it.

Sugar is killing us.
Well, they've done that with the trans fats, but I think attempting to 'ban' sugar is a bit of a stretch and I seriously doubt that's going to happen. In fact, to get away from fake sweeteners and high fructose this and that, American consumers are now leaning back to "good, old-fashioned" sugar. Soda made with real sugar is especially popular.

Food trends take off like a jet in this country. And sometimes they last for years before consumers realize that one is not really better than the other.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;1414617]I didn't find it difficult to lose weight at all once I realised I must do so for health reasons. I lost a stone last year and maintained a steady weight through the winter. Now summer is here I will lose a little more weight.

Forget diets, they are a waste of time, people lose weight and promptly put it back again.
To lose weight and maintain the weight loss calls for a permanent change of lifestyle.

There is no mystery to losing weight, eat a good variety of fresh non processed food and keep the portions small.

To keep fit, regular small amounts of exercise are a good start for example walking 20 mins twice a day at a pace that allows you to talk but not to sing.[/QUOTE]

Correct in all you say. I'm adopted a new way of life changing my whole lifestyle consisting of eating healthy and exercising, I've lost a large amount of weight by doing so and regained my life again.

Other than the odd treat nothing unhealthy goes past my lips anymore and I'm a different woman for it. I have learned how to cook healthily and I've made some wonderful meals. People think they can only eat grass and salads to lose weight, not so, there are a wealth of foods that are good for our bodies and its finding the right balance.

Exercise should be incorporated into the new lifestyle. Swimming and walking is excellent.
Escape
New Member!
East Anglia UK
Escape is female 

19-05-2018, 03:33 PM

It's not the losing weight I have a problem with It's keeping the weight off once I've lost it.:
Linda0818
USA

19-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Escape ->
It's not the losing weight I have a problem with It's keeping the weight off once I've lost it.:
Exactly.

When I put my mind to it and put my best efforts forward, I lose weight. For example, several months ago, I lost a stone and a half. Most all of it is right back on again and I put it down to my own laziness - laziness and carelessness about what I eat. I don't blame anyone else for my weight but me. Which is unusual for an American. Americans just love shifting the blame away from themselves. Like the fools who try and sue McDonald's for making them fat. Nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to eat cheeseburgers and fries on a regular basis. There's only one person who made you fat and all you need is the closest mirror to see who that person is.

We had some idiot, Morgan Spurlock, who did a documentary on the effects of eating McDonald's every day. Every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, for a whole month, super-sizing most of his meals. His weight went up, his health and energy declined and he just felt generally sick. Well no kidding, "Sherlock Spurlock", you ate each meal with reckless abandon, sometimes until you were literally throwing it right back up.

The only thing he proved is what a moron he is.

In retaliation, another person did the same thing, eating McDonald's every day for a month and this person LOST weight. He simply made better choices, ate the smallest size of each item, ate salads at times instead of burgers, and downsized a lot of his food. Basically he just used his head when it came to making food choices and proved that you can eat McDonald's and still lose weight.

No, it's not good quality food. And you definitely shouldn't be eating it on a regular basis, if at all. But it goes to show you that one 'Big Mac Attack' every 6 months isn't going to kill you.

These idiots trying to sue the fast food industry for making them fat is just plain silly and ridiculous. You can make just as many bad food choices in a grocery store. You don't need to go to a fast food restaurant for that.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 05:19 PM

Cut out the carbs and eat more protein.

This if after you get to 65.

Well known proven fact.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Escape ->
Right but keeping the weight off IS the objective, just losing weight is not the game.

That's why diets and slimming clubs DON'T work and never will. They just concentrate on getting you to lose a little weight because they know vulnerable people are desperate for that. They know, they absolutely know 100% that the vast majority of their members will NOT keep the weight off, but they continue to operate their business anyway, because it's a very lucrative business, a $billion business whose business model is founded on people coming back over and over and over.

Hence, don't join slimming clubs imho, they will just screw you up further.

What people need is proper food education, the truth, and to then act on what they have learnt.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top