Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Re: Antibiotics

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I didn't watch it. But I hope they mentioned that the abuses are occurring because of livestock being routinely fed antibiotics and not because of human use. They keep telling us not to take too many but they underplay the far bigger role of farmers.

Yes, they did say about the animals Annie, and not just about the possible medications in meat either. They spoke about cows being treated for Mastitis and the meds getting in to the milk too.

I didn't understand that, because I kept a few dairy goats up until about 2002, but years before that even, we were not allowed to sell milk from an animal udergoing drug treatment, so how come the farmers can?

There is was an easy way of testing the milk to see if one of the girls had Mastitis, and that was to put some of her milk in a saucepan and bring it to ther boil.
If it 'separated' and looked all 'curdy', she had mastitis.
If it just boiled normally, she was better.

It can be the same with animals being dosed with wormers or lice treatments too, even Poultry, because we are eating their eggs as well as meat.
Some meds have 'withdrawal times' when you shouldn't use the produce, some don't, depends on the chemical.

It is not all about animals though, the documentary was condemning all the 'Anti-Bac' household cleaners, hand washes, wipes .. etc, that we are obsessed with.

It said something worth remembering, and that is "We don't have to kill germs on our hands - just wash them off."
In other words, wash our hands frequently and properly, not just sticking our finger tips under the tap!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
hope they're not out of date - they could be dangerous!
Expiry date is June 2022 so a little while to go yet
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Missed this thread with it being in TV/Film section

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's difficult to know what sort of meat to eat that isn't full of antibiotics .
Become a vegan I suppose
Hmmm

I'd be interested to know which antibiotics you believe are capable of withstanding sustained heat in a pan or oven at temperatures of 200C or over !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:51 PM

Hmmm some interesting data on that here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2134130/
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2019, 05:04 PM

And a very good article here

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...s-in-your-food

Suggests that our risks are extremely low. The chance of getting actual antibiotics in any meat is almost negligible but what can be passed on are the actual antibiotic resistant bacteria however the numbers appear small and cooking obviously kills bacteria.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top