Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Re: Blair

Sorry I misunderstood, do you really think he cares enough though to drive himself mad ? He always seems uncaring about it all to me.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sorry I misunderstood, do you really think he cares enough though to drive himself mad ? He always seems uncaring about it all to me.
He cares about himself and his legacy.

To go from where he was to where he is now would break many people. People scorn and derision wherever he goes, not only here but abroad, too.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
No, I didn't mean the Establishment would lock him up, I think there's a good chance he's going to drive himself up the wall because he just can't accept the position of revulsion he now finds himself in.

He already seems to be paranoid, I've read several reports of him being too frightened to stay in any one place for longer than three days, he's constantly on the move and even though he has good security for life (public funded) he's recently been asking Parliament for more, it was refused.

He believes there's a contract out on him.

Not contract, but contract(s) - plural darlin' - there's an awfully long list of people who would be very happy to see him 'planted' (me included).
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 12:39 PM

I am on the fence a bit on this one. I am not a supporter of Blair

Did Maggie have this type of lambasting when the Belgrano was sunk and we reaped the consequences including horrific injuries sustained by Simon Western. A pointless war in my view.

I have seen the uniforms of the Argentinian boys some believed to be 15 years of age. War is not amusing. Somebody had to make a decision.

Theresa May has even commented about trial by social media. .

He would have been critisced whatever the decision.

My mother had no respect for Winston Churchill after living in London during the blitz and the consequetial bombings of the city but it has gone down in history as a good leader.

My dad says no more war after serving his country.

The UK does not rule the waves and you are making yourselves even more Insular

I suspect I will go on more ignore buttons for having a different view even though we have a democracy.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
I am on the fence a bit on this one. I am not a supporter of Blair

Did Maggie have this type of lambasting when the Belgrano was sunk and we reaped the consequences including horrific injuries sustained by Simon Western. A pointless war in my view.

I have seen the uniforms of the Argentinian boys some believed to be 15 years of age. War is not amusing. Somebody had to make a decision.

Theresa May has even commented about trial by social media. .

He would have been critisced whatever the decision.

My mother had no respect for Winston Churchill after living in London during the blitz and the consequetial bombings of the city but it has gone down in history as a good leader.

My dad says no more war after serving his country.

The UK does not rule the waves and you are making yourselves even more Insular

I suspect I will go on more ignore buttons for having a different view even though we have a democracy.

It would seem that my Grandmother and your mother knew one another. My grandmother was also in the East end when Churchill came visiting. He made a speech "that London' could take it". My Grandmother (amongst others - including your Mother apparently) told Churchil what he could take and where!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
He cares about himself and his legacy.

To go from where he was to where he is now would break many people. People scorn and derision wherever he goes, not only here but abroad, too.
I see what you mean but I'm not so confident he cares, some people are so supremely arrogant they think they are right no matter what anyone else says. I have Blair in that catagory myself.

Time will tell which of us are right though, will just have to see where it all ends.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It would seem that my Grandmother and your mother knew one another. My grandmother was also in the East end when Churchill came visiting. He made a speech "that London' could take it". My Grandmother (amongst others - including your Mother apparently) told Churchil what he could take and where!!!
Hi Uncle Joe my mum was a Paddington girl and lived through the Blitz. Her house was bombed and my father was distraught as he had just got home on leave only to find the house flattened. His mother along with his sister were amongst the debris.

My dad and uncle had to dig them out after initially thinking they were all dead.

Life in London was horrendous but they were determined to show a united front including going to the pictures whilst the bombings were taking place.

Mum was air raid warden and even help to put out fires.

Mum recolects the doodle bugs were the worst as you never knew where they would fall.

Mum always missed London when they went to Wales but grandad lived there and we always visited regularly. I loved grandad cockney accent and he always used to tease us. You bloody Welsh.

Mum and Dad were in their early twenties same age as our two boys.

I am proud of them but some comments do upset me On forums. I certainly wouldn't want the job of prime minister that is for sure.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

10-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Our family are lunners too!!! Like your mum, gran was an air-raid warden and fire watcher, my grandad worked on the railway and repaired and built steam engines down at Bricklayers Arms.

Gran led an interesting life - she was a 'match girl' (google Bryant & May match strike), knew Annie Bessant and Sylvia Pankhurst, she became a Suffragette and served a term in prison. During WW1, she was conscripted into Woolwich arsenal making shells for naval vessels. After Gran and Grandad were bombed out, they moved down here to Brighton, but still retained their cockney accent and maintained friendships back in the East end.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 02:00 PM

Hi

I do not feel that we are making a scapegoat of Blair.

The invasion of Iraq was a disaster, sold on wrong information, 9/11 was Saudi, not Iraq.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 02:26 PM

Surely there are stone masons and artists who could have made a more striking structure to mark the passing of those who died in Iraq and Afghanistan???
Firstly the sculpture is not purely a memorial to the dead it is...

A memorial dedicated to those who served in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars has been unveiled by the Queen in central London on Thursday.
The sculpture, by Paul Day, also marks the contribution made by civilians in the conflicts. It is formed of two stone monoliths and a bronze medallion.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39202897

Having listened to a description of the various aspects of the memorial from the sculptor it seems appropriate to me.

Secondly, only a limited number of places were available to attend the unveiling of the memorial and I am aware not everyone connected with the events would be able to attend. However I resent that Blair was allocated a place over those who lost family members in the conflicts. Blair should have done the honourable thing and said give my place to those who deserve to be there.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top