Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Re: Five European Countries that should be afraid, very afraid.

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
No, but once you have made a deal about how to devide their numbers, every country should stick to the deal.
No we should sack whoever made a deal that is so stupid and ask them to rethink (or actually "think" in the first place!).

It should not be down to one person's influence that we take huge numbers of refugees that will upset the whole balance of national cultures and security. That is one decision that I think was absolutely devastating to the EU. It is not the way to do things!

There are ways to keep refugees safe & healthy close to their homelands. It is not only difficult for the host but difficult for the refugees to end up in an even more hostile environment when they have been through so much.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Quite right Annie.
But we don't have to leave the EU to stick two fingers up! We should have been doing it all along. I am not sure why we have been so compliant other than the fact that it's easier fir career politicians than being assertive and obstructive.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But we don't have to leave the EU to stick two fingers up! We should have been doing it all along. I am not sure why we have been so compliant other than the fact that it's easier fir career politicians than being assertive and obstructive.
It's due to our usual balless "leadership" that we've arrived at this point.
If as you say, we'd stood up to them more and ignored a lot of the nonsense (like other countries do) - it may not have come to Brexit at all.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:52 PM

No we should sack whoever made a deal that is so stupid and ask them to rethink (or actually "think" in the first place!).

It should not be down to one person's influence that we take huge numbers of refugees that will upset the whole balance of national cultures and security. That is one decision that I think was absolutely devastating to the EU. It is not the way to do things!

There are ways to keep refugees safe & healthy close to their homelands. It is not only difficult for the host but difficult for the refugees to end up in an even more hostile environment when they have been through so much.
I'm talking of the situation where a small island like cypres or a country like greece is being swamped by refugees. Driving them back into the sea or otherwise let them drown (as has been suggested on this forum) is not a humane solution. Being incapable to take in these numbers you ask "fellow countries" to aid. Promises made should subsequently be kept. Don't you think?

You talk about upsetting the balance of national culture. How stable is the 30 mln strong british culture. Is your balance upset by 300 3,000 30,000 300,000 immigrants? Can you tell?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:56 PM

I'm talking of the situation where a small island like cypres or a country like greece is being swamped by refugees. Driving them back into the sea or otherwise let them drown (as has been suggested on this forum) is not a humane solution. Being incapable to take in these numbers you ask "fellow countries" to aid. Promises made should subsequently be kept. Don't you think?

You talk about upsetting the balance of national culture. How stable is the 30 mln strong british culture. Is your balance upset by 300 3,000 30,000 300,000 immigrants? Can you tell?
They should just refuse entry or sail the parasites straight back.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:57 PM

How do you think you got to get the most opt outs of any EU member? By begging? No, by putting 1 finger up!
It's so unlike the british to give up and walk out. It kind of feels like you surrendered.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Sorry but I do not understand why an organisation as powerful as the EU cannot prevent Greece and Cyprus being swamped in the first place. My understanding is that they were being held to ransom by Turkey. I don't see why the ineptitude of the EU centre to deal with this avoidable humanitarian disaster should be borne by all member states.

At present the balance in the UK is upset by any immigrants that do not fit in with the culture. Even one is too much for many people living here. So why would we agree to take any because of a bad strategy by the EU centre in dealing with this mess?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-05-2019, 09:01 PM

How do you think you got to get the most opt outs of any EU member? By begging? No, by putting 1 finger up!
It's so unlike the british to give up and walk out. It kind of feels like you surrendered.
Exactly so. That is my point - we should not leave but we should be better at sticking two fingers up at stuff we do not agree with. We will still be totally reliant on EU trade if we leave.

I have always said we should have had a far greater role at running the EU and making decisions. It is not down to a lack of testosterone but down to sheer laziness and passing the buck by the British centre of power. Always easier to let others do the hard work and then blame them when things don't work out in our favour.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
They should just refuse entry or sail the parasites straight back.
Now that there are camps in neighbouring countries where these refugees are concentrated together I tend to agree. Economic refugees on europe's shores should be brought back to these camps to discourage others. They can tell the others that it is useless to pay smugglers to bring them to europe. They will be caught and brought back.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

09-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Now that there are camps in neighbouring countries where these refugees are concentrated together I tend to agree. Economic refugees on europe's shores should be brought back to these camps to discourage others. They can tell the others that it is useless to pay smugglers to bring them to europe. They will be caught and brought back.
We finally agree on something Solly.....

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top