Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:46 PM

Does anyone use funeral insurance for the over 50s?

On TV currently there must be a dozen companies offering funeral insurance; Sun Life, etc.

Is any one better than the other, or do they all do much the same?

I'm looking to cover my funeral costs so that my savings aren't eaten into and people benefit more from my estate. Are there any ones particularly to avoid? What should I be looking for? The cheapest or the highest rated? I'm not really wanting anything more than funeral insurance; I don't need extra money when I'm dead.

EDIT: I realise I've put this in general health instead of general discussion. Could a kindly mod perhaps move it?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:57 PM

Re: Does anyone use funeral insurance for the over 50s?

Ffosse, I don't know how it is there...but here, myself and others just paid all our costs up front. My funeral is paid for, including the ground being opened and closed, and even the stone is on there.

I have all my wants in writing with the funeral home.
I wanted everything very simple and I don't want to be laying out in a funeral home for a couple of days..
Right to the grave site I go, with only family members & close friends with me.

No one will have any expenses to pay when I die...the estate is theirs.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:58 PM

I have taken out a prepaid funeral plan with a private crematorium. The plan guarantees today's fixed cost for a funeral and ensures my funeral service will be just how I want it to be. My plan includes a management fee and my money is fully guaranteed through the FSCS.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Ffosse, I don't know how it is there...but here, myself and others just paid all our costs up front. My funeral is paid for, including the ground being opened and closed, and even the stone is on there.

I have all my wants in writing with the funeral home.
I wanted everything very simple and I don't want to be laying out in a funeral home for a couple of days..
Right to the grave site I go, with only family members & close friends with me.

No one will have any expenses to pay when I die...the estate is theirs.

I too have a plot already paid for .
Everything else will come out of my estate .
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
I have taken out a prepaid funeral plan with a private crematorium. The plan guarantees today's fixed cost for a funeral and ensures my funeral service will be just how I want it to be. My plan includes a management fee and my money is fully guaranteed through the FSCS.
Thanks - this is more in line with what I was thinking. A crematorium with no actual official funeral service. I like the idea of prepaid, too, with no more money coming out of my account monthly.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I too have a plot already paid for .
Everything else will come out of my estate .
Good for you Muddy, that is the best way to go...
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Thanks - this is more in line with what I was thinking. A crematorium with no actual official funeral.
That's what I have paid for, a direct cremation. An unattended cremation without a service. Very affordable.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:09 PM

Ffosse, have you looked at a Direct Funeral Plan? I'm not sure how to attach a link but if you Google it you will find out more about it -

What is direct cremation?
The body is collected and cremated immediately after death, rather than waiting for a viewing or funeral to take place beforehand.

There are no family or friends present at the cremation and the body is typically cremated in a very simple casket. The ashes can be returned to the family if requested.

Loved ones are then free to organise a ceremony or memorial at a time, location and date that suits them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Thanks - this is more in line with what I was thinking. A crematorium with no actual official funeral service. I like the idea of prepaid, too, with no more money coming out of my account monthly.
David Bowie had one its cost something like £850 .
Leia
UK

11-07-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
David Bowie had one its cost something like £850 .
Mine has cost £1,195 plus a £480 management fee. My ashes will be returned to my family in a biodegradable box so can be scattered or buried.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top