Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 04:04 AM

Digital Dreams

A thread for all electronic sounds.

Anna Själv Tredje, Tussilargo Fanfara, cosmic classic from Swedish duo, Ingemar Ljungström and Mikael Bojen.

Cybotron, " Implosion", Australian band influenced by the likes of Ash-Ra Temple / Tangerine Dream.

Tomita, "The Planets", Japanese early electronic music pioneer.

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Re: Digital Dreams

This is the only one that springs to mind at present but I know there are many more.

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 07:23 AM

And another.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Neuronium, " Digital Dreams". Spanish band, Tangerine Dream like with a strong Spanish flavour.

Rob B
Solihull, UK
Rob B is male  Rob B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Nom, you've excluded all music prior to about 1979 when the Fairlight digital synth was commercially introduced, but I get your meaning.

This track, "The Savers" is from the 1971 re-release of the 1967 (Kaleidoscopic Vibrations) album by Perrey and Kingsley, two American electronic music pioneers. It was designed mainly to show off the capabilities of electronic music at the time. This was way before the Minimoog brought most of the effects together in a user friendly package. Moog modules and various other custom devices were used to produce this 'soundscape', envelope shapers, high frequency oscillators, low frequency control oscillators, swept filters and white noise generators. The only thing missing was the ring modulator, a device which superimposed a high frequency waveform upon a low frequency waveform to produce, amongst other things, the familiar 'Dalek' voice from Dr Who an effect similar to Greg Lake's vocals on "21st Century Schizoid Man", although I believe that was produced simply by distortion.

In the early 70s, "Practical Electronics" magazine ran a series of articles allowing you to build a modular synth with all of the above modules. I built one of these and had great fun 'knob twiddling'. No integrated circuits were used, they weren't easily available then, apart from a 555 timer chip. I'm not a musician but I can play keyboards a little bit. I had the thought of somehow using a Stylophone Mk 2 keyboard to control it but had no success interfacing it.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

09-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Rob ive not excluded anything, i have a long timeline as far as music is concerned just started another topic to cover another aspect of music.

Feel free to start your own if you think something is lacking.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

09-09-2014, 05:12 PM

Double post removed the gremlins are on the loose
Rob B
Solihull, UK
Rob B is male  Rob B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Sorry Nom, that comment was meant tongue in cheek. I only meant that prior to then, sonic synthesis was achieved by additive or subtractive analogue techniques as up until about then computer processing power wasn't really up to digital methods.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

10-09-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rob B ->
Sorry Nom, that comment was meant tongue in cheek. I only meant that prior to then, sonic synthesis was achieved by additive or subtractive analogue techniques as up until about then computer processing power wasn't really up to digital methods.
No problem Rob, did figure that was what you were referring too, but if i sub divided everything it would be never ending, hence the sub title "A thread for all electronic sounds".
Rob B
Solihull, UK

10-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Walter (later Wendy) Carlos produced produced several 'classitronic' albums in the early 70s, among them the soundtrack from "A Clockwork Orange", "The Well Tempered Synthesizer" and "Switched On Bach".

Although synths add a new dimension to 'classical' music, personally I think that, apart from maybe giving live performances the ability to add pseudo orchestral sounds, this is a waste of the technology's potential, which is the production of NEW sounds, sounds that do not occur in nature.

This is 'Brandenburg No 2' from 'Switched On Bach" ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top