Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Starting school tonite

I was a foreign language major in Uni many moons ago, in the early 80s. I studied Italian, French, German, Spanish and Arabic.

Never really used a lot of them, as I went into social work rather than teaching in the end.

We have a language school in Brooklyn and I decided to enroll. Their courses are 10 weeks long per level, and 2 hours per class, once a week, in my case on a Wed.

Tonite is my first class in Arabic, where I will have ample opportunities to practice as Brooklyn has many many people from Egypt, Jordan, Yemen and Palestine living here.

Very much looking forward to starting. I have not done much with my life since returning from the UK, depressed, heartbroken, broke and miserable. It is time to get out and do something useful !
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:05 PM

Re: Starting school tonite

You go girl, I am rooting for you . By the way find out my name in Arabic!.
x
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:08 PM

This is so bizarre, I have just replied to Madame ,then, and at the top of my screen gives me classes in different languages, Spooky or what .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:09 PM

Tish you are so impressive! Good on you. Takes me all my time to talk Scottish Now, that's an art in itself! As we say in Scotland "gaun hersel hen"
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
This is so bizarre, I have just replied to Madame ,then, and at the top of my screen gives me classes in different languages, Spooky or what .
Didn't you see where I posted a day or two ago someplace on here that you would chuckle if you knew what your name in Arabic was ??? Maybe you never got the notification.

At any rate Apricot in Arabic is ' Mish Mish '. too cute !
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

28-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Tish you are so impressive! Good on you. Takes me all my time to talk Scottish Now, that's an art in itself! As we say in Scotland "gaun hersel hen"
Aw, thanks a ton for the vote of confidence and support !
Now I have to look up the translation for ' gaun hersel hen ',
sounds like something I want to use in conversation !!!
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

28-01-2015, 09:17 PM

General Glasgow sayings & words commonly spoken

Gaun yersel Go on yourself, a motivating comment
Midgie-raker Someone who raids bins & trash for things people have thrown away
Arrabacka At the back of, as in ah'll get ye arrabacka six - at some point after 6 o'clock
Cludgie Toilet, restroom (whaursyercludgieweefulla?), refers to old tenements where the toilet was in the common garden outside your flat!
Wean Child, pronounced waine, also called bairn
Stank Drain hole with cast iron cover
Bools Marbles
Stoorie Game of marbles using the holes in the stank lid
Clype Tell-tale, someone who tells someone's secrets
Ra baw's up the slates The ball is up on the roof, ie. you cannot reach something - an unattainable goal
Tank Beat, win (we'll tank yous re night)
Steamin Drunk, also known as blootered or bevvied (unsurprisingly, we've got legions of words related to drink!)
Lads & Lassies Boys & Girls, Men and Women
Jimmy & Hen Where you don't know someone's name, men are called Jimmy (or Mac), women are called Hen
Dinnae teach yer grannie tae suck eggs Don't teach something to someone who already knows it
Natter Discussion, as in have a natter, a blether
Canny Wise, clever (aye, he's a canny lad mind)
Boost Head off, move away (ah pure boostit oota ther pronto)
Hee Haw Nothing (that's worth hee haw byraway!)
Maw & Paw Mum and Dad
Midden Rubbish tip / bin, also used to describe what state a place is in (yer room's a pure midden - clean it noo afore ah skelp ye!)
Messages Shopping (I'm awa fur ma messages)
Shoot the craw Leave in a hurry, also describes drivers who race to beat the red light (look at that numpty shootin the craw)
Laldy / Welly Put your heart & soul into it, used when you're encouraging someone to try their best (gie it laldy son, gie it some welly)
Lang may yer lum reek Long may your chimney smoke - salutation of prosperity & long life
Awa an bile yer heid Go away and boil your head!
Wur aw Jock Tamson's bairns We're all God's children, born equal
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

28-01-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by madamenotmiss ->
didn't you see where i posted a day or two ago someplace on here that you would chuckle if you knew what your name in arabic was ??? Maybe you never got the notification.

At any rate apricot in arabic is ' mish mish '. Too cute ! :-d
l a l
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 10:27 PM

The best of luck with your classes Tish.

Sorry Apricot but I had to laugh at Mish Mish, it made me think of having 6 mice pulling a sledge, if they were dogs you'd say Mush Mush, but seeing they are mice you have to say Mish Mish.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

28-01-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The best of luck with your classes Tish.

Sorry Apricot but I had to laugh at Mish Mish, it made me think of having 6 mice pulling a sledge, if they were dogs you'd say Mush Mush, but seeing they are mice you have to say Mish Mish.

teehee !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top