Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Dumb Waiter

My tip for this weasel is, don't stitch up people with your lies. After the story originally broke, loads of people on another forum, were hopping up and down, with self righteous indignation. Need to have a heart of stone not to laugh!!

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ote/824027002/
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Re: Dumb Waiter

First clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62QGPHbnyI

Second clip.

https://nypost.com/2013/12/07/waitre...ay-gets-fired/

third clip

https://abcnews.go.com/US/waitress-a...ry?id=21140626

Morale is open up a just give me page and you will make thousands
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
My tip for this weasel is, don't stitch up people with your lies. After the story originally broke, loads of people on another forum, were hopping up and down, with self righteous indignation. Need to have a heart of stone not to laugh!!

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ote/824027002/
I hoped they sacked him?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 01:20 AM

Perhaps the waiter was upset at being "stiffed". (ie no tip)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 06:54 AM

If I go into a restaurant I will only leave a tip if the service I have received is very good.....and only I can judge that!
The waiter/waitress is paid to do their job, so unless I receive very good service I see no reason to reward them.
If the restaurant don't pay good wages they should put up the price of the food they sell, then use the profit to pay all staff more.... but they wont do that because they are afraid that less people will come through the door. If they serve good food, at a fair price, they can pay a reasonable wage to staff...and the ones who give their customers a reason to come back can be rewarded by their tip!

Tips should never be part of their wage, they should be a reward for the additional good service you have given!

The man in this thread didn't deserve to even have a job if that is how he treats customers!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 07:28 AM

Australians don't tip.

All Australian workers have a proper living wage defined by law. There is a lesson there.

However the bastards in the Fair Work Commission recently reduced Sunday penalty rates for some hospitality workers from double time to one and a half time (same as Saturday).
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Australians don't tip.

All Australian workers have a proper living wage defined by law. There is a lesson there.

However the bastards in the Fair Work Commission recently reduced Sunday penalty rates for some hospitality workers from double time to one and a half time (same as Saturday).
I agree that everybody should have a proper living wage defined by law, but I also think that tipping is a good way of rewarding somebody for giving good service! It is an incentive to continue doing so!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The waiter/waitress is paid to do their job, so unless I receive very good service I see no reason to reward them.
If the restaurant don't pay good wages they should put up the price of the food they sell, then use the profit to pay all staff more.... but they wont do that because they are afraid that less people will come through the door.
In certain professions, the tips are accepted as an integral part of the wages. If the employer knows that employees will regularly receive plenty of tips then the basic wages are adjusted accordingly. Restaurants are an example of that but an even bigger one is cruising line staff. The many 1000s of gallant cabin stewards and restaurant waiters on cruise ships get a huge amount in tips. On average, on a 7 day cruise each pair of passengers will likely give the cabin steward andywhere from £20 to £50 depending on how generous they are and how much understanding they have of staff conditions and life aboard a cruise ship.

If a steward has say 30 cabins to manage then they are getting £600 to £1500 per week in tips alone.

Accordingly the cruise lines pay them very low wages for the amount of work and long hours they do. That is how it has always been. Either way you do it, the customer hands over money, either in tips or via increase cruise ticket prices. Doing it via tipping creates the incentive for staff to work hard and try to keep customers happy.

One can understand how employers would see that as the more preferable route.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree that everybody should have a proper living wage defined by law, but I also think that tipping is a good way of rewarding somebody for giving good service! It is an incentive to continue doing so!
There is nothing stopping people from tipping, some restaurants/cafes have a tip jar near the till where customers tend to throw all their shrapnel (I do that) - the money is divided among all the staff.

I will never forget my very first day in Australia (1966) when I took a taxi from the airport to my accommodation a very long drive away, I paid the taxi driver after he got my bag out of the boot and then tried to tip him, he refused saying, "We don't tip here, mate" and drove off. I knew I was going to like the place - London taxi drivers would drive over your feet if you didn't tip them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Only in America is tippng part of the cost of a meal, too bad if the meal is horrible they still expect a tip. Thank goodness here in the UK it is still optional and usually only given for good service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top