Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Re: England v Croatia

A good effort over all despite losing. They appeared to try their best which is all we can ask of them. I thought the first half displayed some of the best football ever by an England team particularly in midfield and for me Trippier was genius. Also a great effort by Pickford.

What we lack is finesse at the front. Yes, they can outrun the defenders but when they get there, they don't quite know what to do with the ball. I'm not sure that's something they will improve on in the next four years because I believe you either have it or you don't.

Croatia's second goal was always imminent in extra time and somehow you just knew it would be scored by the ugly mental one, another face to give us nightmares for the next four years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Hope Croatia win now
Me too, it's always better to be knocked out by the overall winners and let's be honest...... we don't like the French much.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
Was'nt it Croatia that was supposed to be knackered, after their last two games went to extra time? Plus the fact, that some of their players were over 30? A young England team were all over them like a rash in the first half, so it looked like there was no way that Croatia could get back into the game. Oh dear! It all went pear shaped. Still I suppose a brave effort as usual, but that's small consolation.
I think it was 'Stamina' that we ran out of and Croatia seemed to get better as the game went on. A bit like 'Duracell' batteries. There is no doubting England's ability and skill, for the first half they played exciting football and should have been at least three goals up....

But whether it was because they started playing the defensive game, or began to get overwhelmed by Croatia's stamina (something that gets better with age) they weren't producing as many chances as in the first half, and by the end of the second half Croatia were looking very dangerous when in possession and steaming down to the English goal....

In summary though; They were the best team we've sent to the world cup for years and did an outstanding job. They should be proud, as should all the England fans. As Twink says, give them a little more time to build confidence and experience and there is no team in the world they could not beat..... My outstanding players were:- Pickford (he's from Yorkshire) for his death defying defence of the English goal, and Sterling for his amazing runs down the wing, absolutely nobody could out run him, and Maguire, for his prowess in the air....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think it was 'Stamina' that we ran out of and Croatia seemed to get better as the game went on. A bit like 'Duracell' batteries. There is no doubting England's ability and skill, for the first half they played exciting football and should have been at least three goals up....

But whether it was because they started playing the defensive game, or began to get overwhelmed by Croatia's stamina (something that gets better with age) they weren't producing as many chances as in the first half, and by the end of the second half Croatia were looking very dangerous when in possession and steaming down to the English goal....

In summary though; They were the best team we've sent to the world cup for years and did an outstanding job. They should be proud, as should all the England fans. As Twink says, give them a little more time to build confidence and experience and there is no team in the world they could not beat..... My outstanding players were:- Pickford (he's from Yorkshire) for his death defying defence of the English goal, and Sterling for his amazing runs down the wing, absolutely nobody could out run him, and Maguire, for his prowess in the air....
Without doubt. I really hope they can improve over the next four years. What we have to remember though is that all the other teams will be doing the same.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Without doubt. I really hope they can improve over the next four years. What we have to remember though is that all the other teams will be doing the same.
They certainly gave us a world cup to remember Longdogs...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Very frustrating match to watch yesterday. First half, they were blinding, lots of forward movement, break after break, brilliant.

2nd half was like a completely different team walked out. All the attacking ceased, players were panicking all the time. Whenever they got hold of the ball in mid-field or further up they just didn't know what to do with it and no-one was running into spaces to help the man with the ball out. Just hopeless. The number of times they gave the ball away was astonishing. England's downfall has historically been, and seems always set to be the crazy decision to try and defend their lead when 1-0 up. It always ends in disaster.

They need to forget defending and just go for goals and let the opposition score the odd goal but in so doing keep pushing forward and breaking and score even more goals.

First half looked like England could have won and given France a decent game. 2nd half just looked like the England of 10 years ago, wildly panicking and trying desperately just to defend. Never works, never will. Sad to watch.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 12:23 PM

I wished Southgate had taken Jonjo Shelvey, he had a blinder last year in midfield, however Southgate fell out with him years ago.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree, these young men were the pride of Britain, before this match,but they are young and maybe have more to learn. What they need now is support, rather than criticism, because that will show them the support is still there & it is worth trying a bit harder on their next match ( wherever it is).

I thought Southgate was great when he went to comfort them & I loved the way the team applauded their supporters.

Sorry John, I did watch it so it may be all my fault!
Twink, there is a certain Mr Southgate heading your way, complete with the largest axe you ever saw!! Still no worries. I guess you would have had a peek at the final, had England got through, so Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Did anyone see the Southgate lookalike? He was at the last match too. Hilarious.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Twink, there is a certain Mr Southgate heading your way, complete with the largest axe you ever saw!! Still no worries. I guess you would have had a peek at the final, had England got through, so Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
Thank you John!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top