Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Re: Tomatoes.

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Mine still haven't ripened, though one is pale orange (Alicante). As usual some have had glossom end rot. No matter how careful I am, there are always some that get it.
I took the rest of them, ripe-ish and green and spread them out in a big plant saucer in the green house. They will be ripe and red in a few days time. The plant is now in the compost..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
HAH, I wouldn't know LD my OH just waltzed in for a coffee, saw them and said Ohhhh good, and scoffed them, blooming pig.

I am shocked Roxy. I think I need to re-ask the question I asked you in the hot seat. What is your ideal man?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I saw some somewhere they do look strange .
I have been eating tumbling toms ( cherry ) for some weeks I planted them in two hanging baskets .
I also have orange zinger that have a nice sharp taste and some yellow ones and plum one sthat have been useless up to now
I also have some self seeded ones they are I think money maker -that are producing tomatoes -still green though .

Really? Gosh, I never have Muddy.
Are they the big Beefsteak sort maybe?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Those are my favourites Roxy. We bought our plants from a car boot sale this year and there is no way they are Gardeners Delight! They are ribbed and strange looking, not quite ready yet so we’ll see what they taste like in due course.
They are ribbed for your pleasure.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 07:12 PM

LD .....behave

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6595  
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I am shocked Roxy. I think I need to re-ask the question I asked you in the hot seat. What is your ideal man?
ha ha ha he's still my ideal man and I can assure you ,the next lot I bring in from the greenhouse will not be left on the counter, AND I'll have a scoff before hand too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:35 PM

I am glad there is a thread about Tomatoes as l wanted to ask if anyone has tasted the purple tomatoes that l have seen in garden centres? They don’t look very appetising!

This year, l have grown about one hundred tomato plants! They are in pots and planted in the ground.
Last year, l went to my local supplier for my hen food and they had closed down. Attached to the building was an area with tomato plants full of tomatoes, just abandoned. I mentioned this to a man in a unit next door and he said, just to help myself, so l did! The small plum tomatoes were the nicest l had ever tasted.
I had so many, l put them in a pot and then in March, l squeezed the seeds out and just threw them into some compost and loads grew.
I couldn’t let them die, so l planted them anywhere l could. I have picked a few red ones and they are gorgeous!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:44 PM

Good grief Art, 100 plants?
You will be like a commercial grower. They mustn't half take some watering.

I have never fancied those purple ones somehow. I don't think they are purple inside, I've seen photo's of them cut open, but I don't fancy them still.

There are yellow ones too - Sungold is one such. They never look ripe to me. Supposed to be very sweet and tasty but I guess I just like my tomatoes to look like tomatoes - red.

I'm the same about the white strawberries, and purple carrots, don't fancy them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-07-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
LD .....behave

I did wonder if they were the Beefsteak ones.
They are the only ones I have seen that are sort of 'ribbed'.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I did wonder if they were the Beefsteak ones.
They are the only ones I have seen that are sort of 'ribbed'.
Yes.

Grew them a few years ago not a great lover of them, very little taste.

Never have bothered trying to grow them again.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top