Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:58 AM

Re: how arguing more will make you smarter

Whether it's called an argument or a debate doesn't matter, it rarely changes the other person's view.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Whether it's called an argument or a debate doesn't matter, it rarely changes the other person's view.
really and your null hypothesis is what professor?? read the article longbogs!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
really and your null hypothesis is what professor?? read the article longbogs!
I read it thanks and at least I now know why you feel the need to start arguments every day.... you are trying to make yourself smarter.

If that's not proof that the theory doesn't work then I don't know what is.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
close but not close enough - we never knowingly met.

I knew a girl whose father owned an iron foundry and her mother was in a long term psychiatric placement - sad really! but we walked a few cheshire canal banks in our days - where did they all go to? [the days that is not the canals!]
Well I was beginning to wonder, as there are lots of canals near to where I live!
You didn't push her in did you gummy?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well I was beginning to wonder, as there are lots of canals near to where I live!
You didn't push her in did you gummy?
She probably jumped in.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:27 AM

First laugh of the day!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Good article and it's right in may ways.

A key part of life's journey, at least imho, is learning and developing the skill to be able to present one's views and opinions in a structured and cohesive way. That often requires that we have previously thought through our views and beliefs, questioned them objectively and reserached and gathered the facts and evidence related to the subject matter.

Alongside the ability to present one's views cohesively, is the skill to be able to conduct oneself in a debate/discussion. It really IS a skill to be learned and those that enter a debate without that skill find themselves floundering very quickly. It's not that their viewpoints are invalid or wrong, it's simply that they don't know how to use them, how to defend their views, how to assess other people's views and typically they react very badly and emotionally to anyone who challenges their views.

In a sense these people are like duellists walking into the arena armed with their views, which are the fencing swords and head gear, but they have absolutely no idea how to use them. They have not practiced fencing and thus get repeatedly jabbed and beaten by others who DO know the art and skill of debating.

I can honestly say that despite my 50+ years of life, I have learned the most in the past 10 of those where I started to engage in debates (mostly on the internet) and realised how better others were at presenting and defending/supporting their views and ideas. It is a skill to be learned.

There are numerous posters on this forum who lack even the basic skills in this respect. They are 100% emotional amateurs who want to splurt out their beliefs without a single shred of factual evidence, and then when presented with real irrefutable data from people able to present their case well, they degenerate into personal insults or frustrated outbursts.

The greatest advances we make in our own education and understanding of the world come from being able to be humble, to challenge what we think we might know, to challenge our social conditioning and brainwashing and to start to objectively and honestly assess the available facts.

You can do that with personal research, lots of reading and studying, AND you can do it by engaging on different internet forums where discussions and debates are occurring and listen to what others are saying. This gives you lots of new views and opinions to consider and follow up with research if you are interested.

Regardless there are always going to be emotional and egotistical people who can't swim and yet who continually wade in to the deep end of debates and discussions and who thus start to flounder very quickly.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

There are numerous posters on this forum who lack even the basic skills in this respect. They are 100% emotional amateurs who want to splurt out their beliefs without a single shred of factual evidence, and then when presented with real irrefutable data from people able to present their case well, they degenerate into personal insults or frustrated outbursts.
God that made me cry and stamp my foot
* snigger snigger *
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Mind you ... I have made one observation.

Despite all the criticism levelled at Gummy ( and let's face it we'd be here all day if we warmed to the subject, it has so much endless potential ) .... he does make up a good proportion of the discussions and debates threads that are started on here (excepting politics where we can always rely on UJ).

Where would we be without Gummy.
Aye .. makes you wonder doesn't it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I read it thanks and at least I now know why you feel the need to start arguments every day.... you are trying to make yourself smarter.

If that's not proof that the theory doesn't work then I don't know what is.
wot your evidence is one single test case ? - wow where did you learn you null hypothesis? - you were seriously short changed! did ya do it all in one day and get a certificate on toilet paper!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top