Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Re: how arguing more will make you smarter

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Good article and it's right in may ways.

A key part of life's journey, at least imho, is learning and developing the skill to be able to present one's views and opinions in a structured and cohesive way. That often requires that we have previously thought through our views and beliefs, questioned them objectively and reserached and gathered the facts and evidence related to the subject matter.

Alongside the ability to present one's views cohesively, is the skill to be able to conduct oneself in a debate/discussion. It really IS a skill to be learned and those that enter a debate without that skill find themselves floundering very quickly. It's not that their viewpoints are invalid or wrong, it's simply that they don't know how to use them, how to defend their views, how to assess other people's views and typically they react very badly and emotionally to anyone who challenges their views.

In a sense these people are like duellists walking into the arena armed with their views, which are the fencing swords and head gear, but they have absolutely no idea how to use them. They have not practiced fencing and thus get repeatedly jabbed and beaten by others who DO know the art and skill of debating.

I can honestly say that despite my 50+ years of life, I have learned the most in the past 10 of those where I started to engage in debates (mostly on the internet) and realised how better others were at presenting and defending/supporting their views and ideas. It is a skill to be learned.

There are numerous posters on this forum who lack even the basic skills in this respect. They are 100% emotional amateurs who want to splurt out their beliefs without a single shred of factual evidence, and then when presented with real irrefutable data from people able to present their case well, they degenerate into personal insults or frustrated outbursts.

The greatest advances we make in our own education and understanding of the world come from being able to be humble, to challenge what we think we might know, to challenge our social conditioning and brainwashing and to start to objectively and honestly assess the available facts.

You can do that with personal research, lots of reading and studying, AND you can do it by engaging on different internet forums where discussions and debates are occurring and listen to what others are saying. This gives you lots of new views and opinions to consider and follow up with research if you are interested.

Regardless there are always going to be emotional and egotistical people who can't swim and yet who continually wade in to the deep end of debates and discussions and who thus start to flounder very quickly.
wow - well presented realist - there ya go longjohns - pay realist a reasonable fee and ya can walk away today prepared for tomorrow
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
God that made me cry and stamp my foot
* snigger snigger *
I wonder where he got all his knowledge before we had the internet?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:14 AM

encyclopedias of course - started on me daddys knee - the internet of the 40's
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
encyclopedias of course - started on me daddys knee - the internet of the 40's
Don't be daft Gummy, I was taking about Realist not you!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
wow - well presented realist - there ya go longjohns - pay realist a reasonable fee and ya can walk away today prepared for tomorrow
Toadie

If anything all I've discovered arguing achieves is a thicker skin not a more versatile outlook or mind.
How's ya skin Gummy? Do you exfoliate regularly?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Don't be daft Gummy, I was taking about Realist not you!
He only means the Guinness Book of Records Twink.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

07-09-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
He only means the Guinness Book of Records Twink.
Well there is a lot of useless info in that book Morty!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Did you read the post?
It was extremely interesting.

I'm not a bit bothered whether he typed it all himself (it would take me all day!) or copied and pasted it from Some Place, or nicked it from A.N.Other forum (I did that with the scallops, sometimes you need to do that to get a decent perspective!)...it was well presented and interesting, and spot on
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:14 PM

I had far far less knowledge as most did before the advent of the internet.

What I knew I knew from books. For example books that explain every herb and spice and what their medicinal uses are and how to use them.

Books that explain how civil disasters unfold, the typical phases seen each time, how to cope and manage, where to go, what to take, how to create potable water when the water supply is shut off and so on.

Now that we have the internet there is really no excuse for anyone to stay ignorant and uniformed on any given issue. Yet many do remain ignorant. They are locked in their insular world, often afraid to let down the barriers, unwilling to concede they are uniformed, unable to be objective, clinging to old, often childhood traits and habits.

The internet is a remarkable and evolutionary entity.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm not a bit bothered whether he typed it all himself (it would take me all day!)
Yep typed it myself. I can type quickly having been in IT for over 30yrs. Just goes with the job.

Thanks for your comments

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top