Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Re: Cat Deterrent

Pellets of Lion poo (buy online) seem to work for some people , the theory is they scare the cat into thinking there is a predator in the area.

I haven't tried them, I just rush out and scream at the neighbour's cats when they come into the garden or wake the dog to do it for me.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Yep! Water pistol. Cats detest being sprayed on with water.
It’ll work
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Check your water pressure though. Mine turned out not to be strong enough to create lareg enough jets of water.
Wouldn't be too difficult to wire up a motion sensor to activate a mains socket which in turn would turn on a karcher

Might take this idea onto Dragon's Den
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:53 AM

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Get yourself one of these

Contech Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Deterrent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-Sca.../dp/B005MW9VOM

Not in stock on the link above but hunt around and you'll probably find one or an equivalent.

It's a battery operated motion sensor device to which you attach your garden hose pipe and leave switched on.
The device keeps the water shut off until such time as something moves in it's field of detection and then when it does it lets forth fast burts of water spray.

The combination of the sudden noise and water send cats running. Check your water pressure though. Mine turned out not to be strong enough to create lareg enough jets of water.
Yes, I have a couple of those. I'm sure this topic has been discussed before and that I mentioned them.

They do work and, of course, you can direct them to work within an arc of your choosing. I aimed mine at the locations in which neighbours' cats came into our garden, yet our old cat could walk about in safety!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I have three cats who have a cat flap and come and go as they please...problem is i have a neighbour who like you likes cats but dislikes the mess in their garden.

They have tried everything.to deter them including those sonic sound things citrus, coffee grinds and lots more but nothing worked.

They now at my recommendation have a water pistol and whenever they see them they give them a squirt....it's working
Not as effective as a Taser though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Get yourself one of these

Contech Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Deterrent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-Sca.../dp/B005MW9VOM

Not in stock on the link above but hunt around and you'll probably find one or an equivalent.

It's a battery operated motion sensor device to which you attach your garden hose pipe and leave switched on.
The device keeps the water shut off until such time as something moves in it's field of detection and then when it does it lets forth fast burts of water spray.

The combination of the sudden noise and water send cats running. Check your water pressure though. Mine turned out not to be strong enough to create lareg enough jets of water.
I don't think my postman would appreciate that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't think my postman would appreciate that.
Well it will save him time Judd! Just think he could have another cup of tea with breakfast, if he can have his shower during working hours!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Hi Tony guess what , I started throwing my used ground coffee from my cafetier each day onto my garden and not had a cat near for months , I'm guessing they don't like the left over coffee smell . I started throwing it in garden only because I don't want to block my sink waste up
tony58
London, UK
tony58 is male  tony58 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:37 AM

Thank you everyone, there's some interesting suggestions there. I will give them a try and let you know how I get on. Thank you all again...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top