Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Why Did You Forsake Us Ireland?

Just sitting here pondering, As a proud Irish/English mongrel, It still irks me to this day, why, with the weapon of the Irish border being used with relish by the EU, did Ireland ever agree to the second referendum on the Lisbon Treaty?. There would be no Irish problem now if they had held to their democratic right not to have another vote after 53.4 per cent voted to reject the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6 per cent who supported it. The No camp had a sweeping victory but the EU officials’ behind-doors plot to force a second referendum in Ireland showed their utter contempt for those Irish voters.

As soon as the Irish people’s ballot papers were counted, their rejection of Lisbon was treated as “the wrong answer”, as if it counted for nothing.(much like ours) It was a case of “you will be given the chance to vote again until you give the “right answer”. I can still remember in forums and national newspapers here in the UK imploring Ireland, our close neighbour, to stick with their original vote and not be bullied by the EU. However, it seems money talks, a Yes vote meant millions of Euros being spent on their economy, Voting no meant keeping control of their sovereignty and pride at their original democratic decision to reject it but no doubt, threats of no money coming in.

Need I say more? They followed the same path as France and the Netherlands when they were told to vote again after giving “the wrong answer”. It makes you think… is this what they were hoping for with the UK as well?

I have to say, I was bitterly disappointed with Ireland back then, and with that idiot Leo Varadkar now holding the mace for the EU, his blatant vindictiveness towards the UK with his “We will hold the line” for the EU against us, and loving the publicity of being the EU’s unsuspecting handy at the moment whipping boy when it comes to threats against the UK.

With respect to my parents home country, Ireland should be very careful not to upset us, their nearest neighbour. As it is well known, even though those with their fingers in their ears will deny it, the EU is slowly but surely crumbling. Many more countries want complete change but as usual, the EU are not listening. One day, the EU will be no more. Who will you Ireland, turn to then? The very country you haven’t hesitated to turn against?

We at the very least expected as our nearest neighbour and our shared history, your full support in dealing with the Irish Border problem which has been gleefully used as a tool by the EU, with full cooperation from you - to cause unnecessary havoc with Brexit.
And there you still now stand, carrying the EU banner, courtesy of the self-interested Varadkar.

I can’t help feeling as though the UK has been sold out by the very country I see as my second home, It is very depressing. You have certainly wronged us in a big way by siding with the EU against us and I am utterly disappointed in you! I hope it doesn’t come to a case of “you made your bed, now lie in it” - for your treatment of your closest neighbour, you remember? the one who bailed you out when you were on your knees during the recent recession?.
Thanks a lot!! I hope you are enjoying your spoils with your 30 pieces of silver.

What are your views on this? Do you believe Ireland has let us down? Do you believe they should have sided with the UK and especially Northern Ireland?

Off to make a cup of tea now!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Re: Why Did You Forsake Us Ireland?

Don't know about the Irish problem but I do think there are several countries that will do the same as is as soon as they see how the UK get on after leaving
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Not in the least surprised on Irelands stand. It was expected simple as that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just sitting here pondering, As a proud Irish/English mongrel, It still irks me to this day, why, with the weapon of the Irish border being used with relish by the EU, did Ireland ever agree to the second referendum on the Lisbon Treaty?. There would be no Irish problem now if they had held to their democratic right not to have another vote after 53.4 per cent voted to reject the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6 per cent who supported it. The No camp had a sweeping victory but the EU officials’ behind-doors plot to force a second referendum in Ireland showed their utter contempt for those Irish voters.

As soon as the Irish people’s ballot papers were counted, their rejection of Lisbon was treated as “the wrong answer”, as if it counted for nothing.(much like ours) It was a case of “you will be given the chance to vote again until you give the “right answer”. I can still remember in forums and national newspapers here in the UK imploring Ireland, our close neighbour, to stick with their original vote and not be bullied by the EU. However, it seems money talks, a Yes vote meant millions of Euros being spent on their economy, Voting no meant keeping control of their sovereignty and pride at their original democratic decision to reject it but no doubt, threats of no money coming in.

Need I say more? They followed the same path as France and the Netherlands when they were told to vote again after giving “the wrong answer”. It makes you think… is this what they were hoping for with the UK as well?

I have to say, I was bitterly disappointed with Ireland back then, and with that idiot Leo Varadkar now holding the mace for the EU, his blatant vindictiveness towards the UK with his “We will hold the line” for the EU against us, and loving the publicity of being the EU’s unsuspecting handy at the moment whipping boy when it comes to threats against the UK.

With respect to my parents home country, Ireland should be very careful not to upset us, their nearest neighbour. As it is well known, even though those with their fingers in their ears will deny it, the EU is slowly but surely crumbling. Many more countries want complete change but as usual, the EU are not listening. One day, the EU will be no more. Who will you Ireland, turn to then? The very country you haven’t hesitated to turn against?

We at the very least expected as our nearest neighbour and our shared history, your full support in dealing with the Irish Border problem which has been gleefully used as a tool by the EU, with full cooperation from you - to cause unnecessary havoc with Brexit.
And there you still now stand, carrying the EU banner, courtesy of the self-interested Varadkar.

I can’t help feeling as though the UK has been sold out by the very country I see as my second home, It is very depressing. You have certainly wronged us in a big way by siding with the EU against us and I am utterly disappointed in you! I hope it doesn’t come to a case of “you made your bed, now lie in it” - for your treatment of your closest neighbour, you remember? the one who bailed you out when you were on your knees during the recent recession?.
Thanks a lot!! I hope you are enjoying your spoils with your 30 pieces of silver.

What are your views on this? Do you believe Ireland has let us down? Do you believe they should have sided with the UK and especially Northern Ireland?
I certainly do.

They're not alone either. I wouldn't trust any of them.

When the EU finally does begin to collapse, or even before that when we show that we made the right decision and are flourishing, Ireland and other European countries may well look to us for support.

We must remember how they have treated us.

They have a choice: join us or work against us.

There will be many presently under the control of the EU - German car manufacturers, for example - who I'm sure will want to deal with us because, quite simply, it is to their advantage as well as ours.
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 06:44 PM

That is all your opinion! The wrongs Ireland do to England continues to come up on this forum. You are talking in an echo chamber. Ireland is only looking after its own interests, the same as the UK is looking after theirs, and you don't like it. The rhetoric being used against my country is typical of what has been used against us for centuries.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
That is all your opinion! The wrongs Ireland do to England continues to come up on this forum. You are talking in an echo chamber. Ireland is only looking after its own interests, the same as the UK is looking after theirs, and you don't like it. The rhetoric being used against my country is typical of what has been used against us for centuries.
Well said that man.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
Hi

I have to disagree on this one.

Varadkar has caused this problem, using Brexit to try to force a united Ireland.

If NI want to unite with the south, then good for them, they should not however be forced to do so.

Varadkar needs to learn a lesson.

The Common travel Area is completely outside the EU jurisdiction and the UK can revoke it at any time.

Varadkar is insisting that the UK be treated as a Third Country, he should be told that if the UK is forced to accept a No Deal because of his intransigence the UK will revoke the Common Travel Area.

The Irish will need passports to come here and be treated the same as any other economic migrant.

They will have no rights of residence and no family rights.

I have no wish, intention or desire to fall out with anyone, but I will not be blackmailed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 07:52 PM

mountaintop, welcome.

Of course its my opinion, and I have the right to give it as I have. Ireland is obviously looking after it's own interests. I could however also say that it was lucky for you that we didn't hold the same view when you needed our help. However, you have chosen your bed partners, so be it. I only hope all the vitriol thrown at us by a very haughty and smug Leo Varadkar, doesn't in the near future, come back to bite him on the backside.
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
mountaintop, welcome.

Of course its my opinion, and I have the right to give it as I have. Ireland is obviously looking after it's own interests. I could however also say that it was lucky for you that we didn't hold the same view when you needed our help. However, you have chosen your bed partners, so be it. I only hope all the vitriol thrown at us by a very haughty and smug Leo Varadkar, doesn't in the near future, come back to bite him on the backside.
With the greatest respect, our Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, never used any vitriol against anybody. Your personalised attack on him, 'very haughty and smug', is offensive. Totally uncalled for and emotive.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have to disagree on this one.

Varadkar has caused this problem, using Brexit to try to force a united Ireland.

If NI want to unite with the south, then good for them, they should not however be forced to do so.

Varadkar needs to learn a lesson.

The Common travel Area is completely outside the EU jurisdiction and the UK can revoke it at any time.

Varadkar is insisting that the UK be treated as a Third Country, he should be told that if the UK is forced to accept a No Deal because of his intransigence the UK will revoke the Common Travel Area.

The Irish will need passports to come here and be treated the same as any other economic migrant.

They will have no rights of residence and no family rights.

I have no wish, intention or desire to fall out with anyone, but I will not be blackmailed.

Thank you Swimmy for putting into words a lot better than I could.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top