Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 08:52 PM

UEFA Champions League Final Four

Thank God Real and Barca have drawn each other in the Semis so we don't have to face the prospect of another all-Spanish final. Sure they're both incredible teams with a boatload of talent but whenever they play each other it's like watching a chess match.
Go Bayern! I love their style and have witnessed the team on a few occasions showing real respect and openness with their fans. A truly classy outfit.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-04-2012, 09:42 PM

Re: UEFA Champions League Final Four

Maybe I am wrong but I was under the distinct impression that the semi-final line up was,
Barcelona V Chelsea and Real Madrid V Bayern Munchen.

It could well turn out to be an all spanish affair and a game for the purist.
I would not want to bet against Barca on current form.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 10:02 PM

04/17 Bayern v. Real Madrid ‎-2:45 PM (ET)

04/18 Chelsea v. Barcelona ‎-2:45 PM (ET)

04/24 Barcelona v. Chelsea ‎-2:45 PM (ET)

04/25 Real Madrid v. Bayern ‎-2:45 PM (ET)
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2012, 01:39 AM

Oops, my bad. You're right it is Chelsea v. Barca and Bayern v. Real.
Best case scenario: Chelsea and Bayern in the final
Worst case scenario: we have to endure another Barca v. Real match.

Again, go Bayern!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

12-04-2012, 05:19 PM

With the first leg at home Bayern will want to lay down a good mark which should make the second leg in Madrid an interesting affair.

There is no denying the resolve of the team, they had to go through the play-offs to qualify for the tournament and the group of death but had a bit of a coast to this stage apart from Basel putting the wind up them.

Solid in defence particularly with Lahm; and with players like midfielders Ribery and Robben plus Muller up front to switch around they are a force to be reckoned with. Mind you young Thomas Muller has to watch his step, being already on a yellow card might blunt his efforts a little when looking toward the final, which incidentally is in their own back yard, so another incentive to do well.

On the other hand, I fancy Jose Mourinho’s Real might have something to say about it. The 'Special One' has a chance of a third final with a different team and if he won it he will become the first coach ever to lift it with three different clubs, something that will not have escaped his attention.

Everyone is writing Chelsea off and on paper there should be no contest but Barca have still to beat them over two legs. There is an awful lot riding on Roberto Di Matteo and Steve Holland to motivate the team and give it a right good go. It maybe the last chance of a pot for one or two players.

As much as I would like to see an English based club upset the applecart and beat the crap out of Johnny Foreigner, even the old enemy Chelsea, I still cannot see much past Barcelona to win the trophy and oddly enough I have always preferred to watch the tactical game.

Over the decades I have seen many strategic games played out at the Boleyn, the problem was our team often kept the secrets to themselves and we still lost.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

17-04-2012, 11:31 PM

First blood to Bayern Munich in their home leg of the Semi-final by just beating Real Madrid 2-1 by nicking a goal very late on.

It seems that was not the only thing pilfered on the night, Real Madrid had their boots and shirts stolen from their dressing room just prior to kick-off.
I would however imagine Mourinho will put aside his undoubted conspiracy theory for a while as they stole an equaliser in the second half to secure that possibly vital away goal, which in itself might just give them the advantage when they meet again at the Bernabeu.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

18-04-2012, 11:29 PM

The second Semi final first leg match saw Chelsea pull off a surprising 1-0 victory at the Bridge tonight.

The game was totally dominated by Barcelona who uncharacteristically missed several easy chances to put this tie and the frankly the entire Semi beyond the reach of Chelsea.

That said, It has been a long time since I have seen such resolve from a Chelsea side. From the start to the end they gave it all and it would be hard to pick out a player better than the rest except that Raul Meireles and Ramires together put in one hell of a shift.

For Barca, Fabregas was poor and Chelsea effectively nullified Messi. Mascherano struggled with the presence of Drogba and could not handle the pace of Ramires.

I still think Barca will overcome Chelsea next week at the Camp Nou but if the blues put up a fight like tonight it might not be that certain.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada

19-04-2012, 12:51 AM

A great start to the semis with both my teams winning. It will be a tall order to hope that Bayern and Chelsea prevail next week though.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2012, 09:06 AM

I thought Chelsea put up a stunning performance last night. Some of Barca's passing was awesome, but like you say Hammer, Fabregas was very wasteful. If the Blues can sneak an early goal over in the Nou Camp, who knows what will be. All praise to RDM, even that miserable bugger Abramovich was smiling!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2012, 09:52 AM

Chelsea played brilliantly last night and in that form I can't see Liverpool beating them in the FA Cup

Good victory last night for them in leg 1 of the semi. Now they have to do the same in Spain. At least the weather should be better. Horrid conditions last night at Stamford Bridge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top