Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Re: UEFA Champions League Final Four

Oh yes its me again sticking my oar in, but what a spectacle Drogba was, I couldnt believe it. I am with you Hammer, I hope Barca whips the pants off Chelsea, so what is it thats so amazing about John Terry then, I hadnt realised he was on the field till after half time. Have to say they were better than I thought they would be though!!!
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Well done Chelsea, nice to see them prove that theses so called super teams are in fact just human beings playing football in a stereo typed way and can in fact be beaten, now Barca's manager is playing mind games, stating that Chelsea must now be favourites to go through to the final I tend to go along with the viewpoint that if Chelsea go for and get an early goal at the Nou Camp then we shall certainly find out if the Spanish outfit are indeed a class apart, interesting to say the least!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

19-04-2012, 10:14 PM

Maybe it would have been better to have played away at Barca first, it just might have made the job easier. Stamford Bridge was always a hard place to get a result especially in the pre-Premiership days . I remember one dismal Saturday winters afternoon just before xmas in 1966 being livened up no end with the spectacle of a 5-5 draw against them.

Tommy Docherty had already lost the services of one Peter Osgood with a broken leg but they still had the talents of Tony Hateley, Charlie Cooke and Tommy Baldwin. Combine those with the unforgettable Ron Harris, Bonetti and McCreadie they were a side of some standing.

For our part Ron Greenwood put out a good side with in addition to the usual suspects of Moore, Hurst and Peters we had John Sissons and Peter Brabrook.

A virtual feast at half time when we were 2-1 up, a decent cuppa and a kate and sidney pie. Going home happy at full time having witnessed a ten goal extravaganza plus a bag of roasted chestnuts bought for the journey. What simple pleasures.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Good luck to Chelsea tonight when they take on Barcelona in their back yard for the second leg.

I hope the chosen referee can run the game fairly and without there being the controversy that seems to occur in almost every match between these two.

I think Barca will have Messi on the field although he is rumoured to have been suffering a'gastric problem'. For the sake of Chelsea we can only hope he has no stomach for the match as he could not play as inefectual again.They still have strength in depth and with players of the calibre of Iniesta and Xavi remain a formidable team.

Chelsea will be running the fitness rule over Drogba before deciding on their starting lineup. He has travelled with the squad and was last seen perfecting his pirouette, double Lutz and triple Salchow in readiness for the fray. Let us hope that for once his footballing technical merit far outshines the artistic interpretation seen in the last match.

I also hear that the more than capable defender David Luiz also made the trip so it could be that the hamstring injury was not so bad as first thought.

A hard slog ahead for the Blues but we can only hope they reduce Barca to the 'Pensioners'( all those about before 1951 will know ) of the tie.

Update:

Barcelona 2 Chelsea 2.
Chelsea go through 3-2 on aggregate.

Quite a heroic performance from the little I have read so far.
Congratulations to Chelsea.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2012, 11:52 PM

Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea! 2-0 down and with ten men at the Nou Camp. Possibly the Blues finest hour, except maybe their FA Cup replay against Leeds Utd. in 1970.
Now it's Bayern's turn to knock off their Spanish opponents.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea! 2-0 down and with ten men at the Nou Camp. Possibly the Blues finest hour, except maybe their FA Cup replay against Leeds Utd. in 1970.
Now it's Bayern's turn to knock off their Spanish opponents.
Yes, have to agree a good result against all the odds but I would venture to suggest that the behaviour of the club captain let everyone down and could have cost them dearly when patently unneccessary.
Not the first time he has been found wanting but you are right, he would have fitted right into the FA Cup replay at Old Trafford you mention.
It was one of the dirtiest games ever seen in a final and the revenge sought by one Mr Jack Charlton cost him and Leeds dear.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Real Madrid 2. Bayern Munich 1. Aggregate 3-3.
Bayern go through after winning the penalty shootout 3-2 aet.

A rather good match to watch from a neutral standpoint.
Some nice attacking football coupled with atrocious defending made it all the better.

The way Real set off I thought it would be one way traffic but Bayern stuck to the task and they were far the better side at half time. The second period died somewhat and it almost seemed like both teams wanted to go on to extra time and the dreaded penalties.

It was good to see the Liverpool favourite Xavi Alonso still doing his stuff and sad that he will not progress any further.
Penalty misses from Ronaldo, Ramos and Kaka left Schweinsteiger to put Bayern into the final and one does not back against the Germans in the penalty stakes.

The final should prove interesting with Chelsea unable to field four regulars and Bayern will be missing three.
Hard one to call.

Congratulations to Bayern Munich.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Really enjoyed this match, probably because I did'nt mind who won the game. Its always a shame when a game is decided on penalties. Thought Mourinho conducted himself with great dignity in his post match interview, as he must have been desperately disappointed. Pity that some players have to miss the final, never have that chance again for some time. Good luck to them both, they deserve to be there.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Hi John, I always like hearing Jose but did get to wondering if 'The Special One' was eyeing up a potential repeat crossing of the 'Bridge' and becoming a Blue again.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 08:25 AM

When I started this thread I didn't dare dream it was possible but to see Chelsea and Bayern in the final is fantastic.
I hope the game isn't marred by the usual histrionics (Drogba, I'm talking to you) and that it becomes a classic for the ages.

Go Bayern!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top