Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Archery

I have had an offer to take up archery, I shall have a coach to help get me going.
Has the Olympics inspired you to take up some exercise?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Re: Archery

Why don't you go for it Arthur?, who knows you might win a gold medal in the next Olympics, stranger things have happened.
That reminded me of the rifle shooting contest on the first day of the Olympics, I wasn't minding the TV but my grandson drew my attention to the "rifles" they were using, for Gods sake it was impossible to miss with a thing like that. they also had little TV screens beside them to see the target, come on now shooting is shooting, talk about fish in a barrel.

PS. I only pray that the noble art of archery has not fallen to such low depths and a bow and arrow is still a bow and arrow as we all know it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Yep, Technolympics is the way forward.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 12:03 AM

My father was a paralympic gold medalist in archery..
My other half shoots at our local club too..
I cant shoot as my neck is too bad but I love watching.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 07:56 AM

I am looking forward to it today, but I do know they use a bow without all the balancing gear on them.
target will only be about 50ft from us to start with.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Why don't you go for it Arthur?, who knows you might win a gold medal in the next Olympics, stranger things have happened.
That reminded me of the rifle shooting contest on the first day of the Olympics, I wasn't minding the TV but my grandson drew my attention to the "rifles" they were using, for Gods sake it was impossible to miss with a thing like that. they also had little TV screens beside them to see the target, come on now shooting is shooting, talk about fish in a barrel.

PS. I only pray that the noble art of archery has not fallen to such low depths and a bow and arrow is still a bow and arrow as we all know it.

Jemflux - you need to know some basic facts about the sport before you start insulting it. I know, because I used to do it myself some years ago, although I preferred pistol.

What makes you think this is in any way easy? Despite the photo, those weapons weight 12.1 pound which must be freely held and not supported during fire. (that one shown is for the weapon to be rested with not shooting). Apart from stabilising weights and the propellant cylinder, dioptic lens, colour filters, nothing else is allowed. The foresight on the barrel is just a circle which is just larger that the 'black' of the target, which is 10m/32ft away. Your so-called "fish in the barrel" ten ring IS A HALF MILLIMETER DOT. Shooters have to be physically fit because even your own heart rate can lift the barrel high enough to miss it. Not only that, to even qualify for a medal, you would have had to hit this 0.5mm 'fish' roughly 57 times out of 60. The olympic final gauges the 0.5mm to a further decimal place, therefore for a 'perfect' shot, your aiming tolerances are down to a further 0.02mm - all this at 10 meters away and freestanding. The leather coats are there to give back support and prevent injury due to prolonged standing position.

Of course there is a monitor showing the target, the shooter needs that to gauge shot grouping and adjust sights as required. If it wasn't a monitor, the shooter would have a spotting scope next to him to see where it went. The barrel with all the fish in is a long way away to see exactly what fish he's shot and where.

If you want to get really silly, to even glance the 10 (sorry 'fish'), you must hold the heavy barrel still enough to within 0.00286 degrees, whilst aiming a foresight circle to a black target area which is just over 30mm across.

Do you still think its easy? Do you still think this sport has sunken to such low depths???

I invite you to have a go at your local air weapons range if you think this is "shooting is just shooting"

Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

14-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Just a minute guys, this thread is titled archery, not shooting with guns.
Having said that, I enjoyed every minute of the archery, it is not easy I can assure you.
We started with 10 arrows a piece shooting from roughly about 50 ft., my first 10 were round the target with 3 being strays, my second 10 was different again, my nerves had settled and I shot them all on target which included 3 golds. I was well pleased, then they moved us back another 6 feet, then I went a bit wild again, but did manage to get one in the gold, more luck than judgement.
first we were instructed how to hold the bow, most would grab it with a hand round it, that is incorrect, you only hold it loosely with 2 fingers, the arrows clip onto the string and you don't hold it with two fingers one either side of the bow.
You pull the string back till it touches the face with 3 fingertips below the arrow, you take aim and let the string slip off the string which will fire it to where you have pointed it too.Did you know that the fletchings, which you probably know as feathers, are 3 of one colour and one odd one, the odd one has to be facing your left of the bow.
The bows are made from carbon fibre and the one I used was 68 inches long with a 20lb pull.
Try it it is not easy, I shall do it again now, I have the bug.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Just a minute guys, this thread is titled archery, not shooting with guns.
Having said that, I enjoyed every minute of the archery, it is not easy I can assure you.
We started with 10 arrows a piece shooting from roughly about 50 ft., my first 10 were round the target with 3 being strays, my second 10 was different again, my nerves had settled and I shot them all on target which included 3 golds. I was well pleased, then they moved us back another 6 feet, then I went a bit wild again, but did manage to get one in the gold, more luck than judgement.
first we were instructed how to hold the bow, most would grab it with a hand round it, that is incorrect, you only hold it loosely with 2 fingers, the arrows clip onto the string and you don't hold it with two fingers one either side of the bow.
You pull the string back till it touches the face with 3 fingertips below the arrow, you take aim and let the string slip off the string which will fire it to where you have pointed it too.Did you know that the fletchings, which you probably know as feathers, are 3 of one colour and one odd one, the odd one has to be facing your left of the bow.
The bows are made from carbon fibre and the one I used was 68 inches long with a 20lb pull.
Try it it is not easy, I shall do it again now, I have the bug.
It sounds really good Arthur, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the experience, it almost makes me want to try it. As long as I can sit down for a rest every minute or two.

Well done, let us know how you get on next time.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Wrinkly, I hear what you're saying, as someone decided to give an unqualified insult to everyone to have spent their entire sporting lives pursuing a very arduous sport.

As a shooter, I also have a deep respect for archers and can fully respect the difficulty, skill and training involved and have always wanted to give it a go.

That aside, can I look forward to seeing you at Rio in four years time??

Glad you're enjoying it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

14-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Graham said :---That aside, can I look forward to seeing you at Rio in four years time??

Well I would be 78 then, anyway I don't like the hot sun, and I can't speak Portuguese

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top