Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-04-2012, 03:30 PM

MotoGP 2012

The 2012 season starts next week at the Losail International Circuit outside Doha, Qatar.

I am glad to say the BBC coverage has not gone the same way as the ill fated F1 and does look a lot better than other years, we are promised all 18 races live, either on the red button or BBC1/2 and in HD transmission this term.
wow!!!

The presentation team look to be the same with Matt Roberts and Azi Farni reporting from the pit lane and grid while stalwarts Steve Parrish and Charlie Cox remain as the brilliant commentator duo.

The exceptional Australian, Casey Stoner who won last years title will I suspect start as favourite, that said it could be closer this year with the bikes increasing in size to 1,000cc.

Race 1 - Losail, Qatar, 8 April.
Race 2 - Jerez, Spain, 29 April.
Race 3 - Estoril, Portugal, 6 May.
Race 4 - Le Mans, France, 20 May.
Race 5 - Catalunya, Spain, 3 June.
Race 6 - Silverstone, Great Britain, 17 June.
Race 7 - Assen, Netherlands, 30 June.
Race 8 - Sachsenring, Germany, 8 July.
Race 9 - Mugello, Italy, 15 July.
Race 10 - Laguna Seca, United States, 29 July.
Race 11 - Indianapolis, United States, 19 August.
Race 12 - Brno, Czech Republic, 26 August.
Race 13 - Misano, Italy, 16 September.
Race 14 - Aragon, Spain, 30 September.
Race 15 - Motegi, Japan, 14 October.
Race 16 - Sepang, Malaysia, 21 October.
Race 17 - Philip Island, Australia, 28 October.
Race 18 - Valencia, Spain, 11 November.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Re: MotoGP 2012

Although I've been a motorcyclist all of my adult life until last year, I never really got into GP racing, but I'm glad the coverage will be good for you George and I hope you enjoy the forthcoming season...
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Although I've been a motorcyclist all of my adult life until last year, I never really got into GP racing, but I'm glad the coverage will be good for you George and I hope you enjoy the forthcoming season...
Thank you Barry, it promises to be interesting with the new engine specs and other changes. I do hope we have none of the tragedies that marred last years season.
I have always liked bike racing since the early days of grass track, speedway and trials, I well remember Alf Hagon being the hero of the day.
I renewed my interest in it when MotoGP was introduced.
I tried a bit of every kind of bike racing when a lot younger but was frankly hopeless and found it a lot easier on the flesh to watch from a safe distance.

I find motor cycle sport and everyone in it are not so pretentious as the F1 motor 'racing' fraternity and we do get real races.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 03:50 PM

I must admit that I watch a bit of the TT now and then and find it terrifying when the camera's on front of the bike. I can only admire the courage and skill of the modern racer and cannot imagine how they can possibly control that much power....

I used to enjoy doing a bit of trials riding back in the 60's on an old AJS G3L that I built, I enjoyed it but I must admit to being pretty useless at it....
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

08-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Jorge Lorenzo ( Yamaha Factory Racing ) starts on pole for todays MotoGP with Casey Stoner ( Repsol Honda ) on the front row whilst our British rider Cal Crutchlow ( Monster Yamaha Tech 3 ) made it two Yamahas at the front of the grid with his best-ever qualifying display to secure third spot.

Catch it live on the red button this early evening or a re-run later.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

08-04-2012, 11:08 PM

A good start to the season with Jorge Lorenzo crossing the stripe for the final time ahead of Dani Pedrosa and Casey Stoner.

Starting from pole, Lorenzo held the lead until the third lap when Stoner passed him on the start/finish straight. They kept station for most of the race despite Pedrosa trying to get in on the act throughout.

Stoner, who looked early on to have total control suddenly seemed to have either damaged his tyres and was suffering loss of grip or the sheer effort in handling these present day monster machines was taking its toll.
In any event, three laps from home Lorenzo and then Pedrosa passed him.

Good to see teammates Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso engaging in a clean and absorbing tussle with the Coventry lad Crutchlow coming out on top and finishing in fourth spot. No team orders here to spoil the racing.

Sad to see Valentino Rossi so far down the pack, Ducati have to up their game but good to see no crashes or injuries.

I look forward to the next instalment.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-07-2012, 04:43 PM

I missed the BBC red button live coverage of yesterdays Dutch MotoGP from Assen and watched in this afternoon without knowing the outcome.

Alvaro Bautista lost the plot in a big way at the first corner and took out championship leader Jorge Lorenzo in the process. Not only that but our own Cal Crutchlow had to take the agricultural route to avoid the backsliding tulip Bautista.

Casey Stoner it was who took up second position behind his Repsol Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa but with a brilliant overtake in the late stages took an unassailable lead in the race. The win moves him level on points with Yamaha works rider Lorenzo.
Andrea Dovizioso crossed the stripe in third place after passing Ben Spies who seemed to have developed a problem on the final lap and fellow teammate Cal came home a very credible fifth.

Naughty boy Bautista will start next weekend's German MotoGP from the back of the grid as a penalty "for riding in an irresponsible manner" by race stewards.

The current MotoGP leaders.
Jorge Lorenzo: 140 points
Casey Stoner: 140 points
Dani Pedrosa: 121 points
Cal Crutchlow: 77 points
Andrea Dovizioso: 76 points
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Had to watch the German MotoGP at Sachsenring on the red button today whilst over on BBC2 the F1 aficionados were being treated to such breathtaking racing delights from Silverstone as the mexican wave and puddle jumping time trials.
That said, it was good to later read that the precious wimpish 'drivers' joined in the frivolity with their usual panache and daring. In truth, the most dangerous act was carried out by a presenter as he braved the dangers with no coat on.

Over to where the real racers were, no hold-ups here and despite heavy rainfall and quite torrid conditions speeds in excess of 160 mph were being made.
The whole of qualifying passed of reasonably well and I am glad to report that no serious injuries have been sustained to those riders that took the agricultural or slalom routes.

The exciting last few minutes of qualifying saw a drying track and the starting positions for tomorrows race change several times including the last seconds of the final lap.

World Champion and Repsol Honda Team rider, Casey Stoner grabbed pole right at the end with the Yamaha Works team rider, Ben Spies in second and fellow Repsol man Dani Pedrosa in third.

The second row is headed by our own Cal Crutchlow on the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 machine. Jorge Lorenzo, Yamaha’s joint-championship leader starts in fifth and LCR Honda local lad Stefan Bradl put in some fine laps for his home GP supporters and takes sixth spot.

It all bodes well for a good race tomorrow and well worth tuning in early to see it.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-08-2012, 11:09 PM

If anyone thought this afternoons Czech Republic Grand Prix at Brno would be a one horse race without the presence of Casey Stoner they were in for a surprise.

The track was mercifully dry albeit pretty gloomy when pole sitter Jorge Lorenzo blasted away from the start. He held the lead with Dani Pedrosa close behind and Britains Cal Crutchlow in third spot who looked set on capitalising on his career best qualifying slot of second on the grid.

The front runners slowly pulled away from Cal which was inevitable considering the difference between their machines but Cal seemed to have the drop on his teammate Andrea Dovizioso and stayed in third spot.The front pair diced all the way home and it was anyone's race up until the last
corner. Lorenzo had already muscled past Pedrosa but the Repsol Honda rider hit back coming out of the final turn, he somehow found the better drive out of the corner to cross the stripe in first spot by just 0.178 seconds.The win closes the gap to Lorenzo by 13 points with just six races left.

A great race but the best news was the third place by Cal Crutchlow. This was the first time a british rider finished on the podium at this class since 2000. Cal signed a new one-year contract extension with Tech 3 Yamaha on Saturday so he has had a good weekend all round.

Unluckiest man has to be poor old Ben Spies, panic is the vulture that sits on his shoulder but he is still smiling. The conspiracy theorists would have a field day with his luck just lately.

The next race, number 13 is at Misano, Italy, 16 September.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Hubby may well be watching tomorrows race. I've insisted he rests tomorrow - I read this thread out to him and he sounded quite interested.
He mentioned watching Eric Chitty speedway racing for the Hammers at West Ham. Goodness knows how young he was!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top