Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 01:32 AM

Blogging

I'm always looking for new things to enjoy in retirement. Recently an online friend suggested I try blogging. Marilyn showed me where to go online to set up my own free blog and get started.

With my love of photography I opened up Northwest Photographer at http://pacificnorthwesttravelerdotcom.wordpress.com/
I know that's quite a mouthful but that's the price you pay when getting something for free. It's been about 3 weeks since my site has gotten started and I've already created 42 posts. Think of a blog post as a forum thread.

I actually prefer the blog concept to forums because you get to pick the subject matter that interests you. You write about anything actually so there tends to be a lot more text than photos. You can also incorporate videos and music in your posts.

Another reason I'm shying more & more from forums is that there are no personality clashes on blogs. As a visitor you can simply read & look, post a comment, or follow that blog so that each time the author adds a post you get an email alerting you to new activity. You have full control over your blog site including continuous editing capabilities. You can also delete unwanted comments. People who comment may not post photos, videos or music to your site.

With my photography slant on my local area I can use my entire collection of photos to tell stories behind the picture as well as how the photo was taken. I can post tutorials on processing & special techniques as well as equipment reports on gear and software.

I cordially invite you to visit the blog at : http://pacificnorthwesttravelerdotcom.wordpress.com/ and see what you think. As I mentioned, you pick the topic and just open your writings skill to have fun. Over time you'll attract others that will say hi, comment and follow your posts. It's a lot of fun.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 06:18 AM

Re: Blogging

One of the nice things about blog sites is that they are useful for groups and organisations.

I always thought that Blogs were just an online personal diary (ie a big wank) but they are more than that. My seniors group has one:

CPSA Dapto Seniors

Originally the club used a Facebook page but this is far more effective for getting out news and information about the club's activities.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 12:46 PM

I never thought of using a blog for a club site but it would be really effective, especially if a small group were given access to post.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 07:10 PM

I enjoyed reading your blog Bob. I do read quite a few others Its like an insight in to other peoples lives & their adventures. I've read quite a few about cycling round the world. A bit ambitious for me but something I would have loved to try 20/30 years ago.
Look forward to the follow ups.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 08:25 PM

I too, enjoyed reading your blog Bob, also looking at your great photos.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

16-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I too, enjoyed reading your blog Bob, also looking at your great photos.
Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top