Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 12:38 AM

Yoga - health benefits

I'd never really gotten into yoga in my youth. I had been to about 3 classes in my life. Apart from Ashtanga it was all too slow and meaningless.

But then last year I went on a yoga retreat, just as a totally on a whim as I was feeling very run down and out of shape and was looking for a healthy holiday. So I booked in for a week of veggie vegan detox food, no alcohol and life with a small group of complete strangers in a luxury villa with a pool on a remote island in the med.

It was really difficult to get into the yoga. The class was advanced and the schedule gruelling. But I felt really fabulous for months after. I planned to keep it up as I felt super fit, relaxedand twenty years younger at the end of the week.

So, after all that I hadn't done any for months, the yoga mat was lying there forlorn in a corner. I then decided to go on you tube yesterday. I'd twisted my ankle two weeks ago so hadn't been able to do much of my usual longer dog-walking and also had a really painful shoulder for no good reason. I just did a really basic introductory class online for half an hour, simple stretches and a few downward dogs, cat curls.

This morning it was amazing - just those few simple exercises have hugely improved my ankle which is no longer throbbing or painful to walk on, and my shoulder pain is gone. My neck and shoulders feel much stronger and I could see the tummy & legs are starting to tone. Obviously I still have some benefits from the more intense exercise I did last year, but just super-impressed that it can be switched back on just like that when I felt steamrolled by inactivity.

Unbelievable what a short bout of stretching can do. I just hope I can keep it up. The you tube clip is a 30 day challenge which gets harder each day but I was thinking of making it a 30 week challenge and go up a day each week.

Has anyone else really benefited from yoga? Or maybe you've practised for years and are super bendy in a way that I'd love to be if only I had the self-discipline to get up at 6am and do cartwheels out of bed.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 12:53 AM

Re: Yoga - health benefits

Glad it's working for you Annie - I've been meaning to give it a go for ages!

I've just moved gyms and they do Yoga classes... so I might try it one day
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 05:15 AM

can you put a link up to the one you did please , id like to see if i could do this and feel better.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 08:03 AM

There are so many on You Tube.
I'd also like a link to the one you did please Annie.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 09:41 AM

The way I'm feeling after jogging 5 miles yesterday makes me think I would benefit from a bout of stretching too.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Good for you Annie!
That retreat sounds great, can you tell us where it was?

Forget the weights and treadmills, a simple daily stretching routine keeps me from aches and pains (so far!) even just five minutes when I'm getting dressed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 09:56 AM

I have only ever heard good things about Yoga Annie and would love to give it a go. It's one of those disciplines that it would be best to attend classes and to be shown the correct way to do it, even if you practised it yourself after learning how to do it. A bloke attending classes filled with ladies would be a daunting challenge though. I understand that there is a lot more to Yoga than just stretching, I believe that breathing and a state of mind plays a major part also.

The retreat you visited sounds perfect Annie, and I yearn for something different, but I would have issues with a 'Vegan' diet and convincing Mrs Fox that it would do her more good than stretching out on a beach in Fuerteventura...Perhaps one day....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 11:33 AM

I have been doing Pranayam yoga and another different one as well (can't remember the name offhand) for getting on for 7 years now Annie.
It concentrates a lot on breathing exercises - that is what keeps us alive after all, so may as well learn to breathe well.
2 of these classes are with the Hindu community. Many of them seem to do yoga, from small children to very old folks.

I have learned there are good teachers and not so good, and they all have their own as there are many different types of yoga.
Some people try it once and say they don't like it, so never go again, which is shame, because all they need to do is try a different method instead.

Good luck to you, keep up the good work and you will benefit. My teacher always says to practice every single day though, it is not so beneficial if you only do it occasionally.
I can see her point, as I suppose we wouldn't learn much if we only went to school occassionally either.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:45 PM

I tried it for a while. The teacher didn't have an ounce of fat on him. It was hard - very hard. Probably did me a bit of good but I didn't last that long. I think I ended up doing Karate instead .

I'm not sure but the teacher fell on hard times I heard and is a bit of a mess now .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
can you put a link up to the one you did please , id like to see if i could do this and feel better.
Hi Eliza and Carol, this is the link to the one that I did. I took it pretty slow, even though it's the easiest day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBu-pQG6sTY

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top