Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Android Tablet ... fun!

Hi ... I've got an Android Tablet (Hudl), a few years old, virtually unused and I thought I might get it going and take it with me on holiday next week.

Started it up and it was slow ... downloading stuff, I think ... but slowly getting faster, plus I'm slowly remembering how to operate it.

There's ads everywhere ... bust enlargements! on OFF top banner. AdBlock Plus not working:

"Proxy configuration" explains how to fix that: change "Proxy port" from (currently) 8080 to 2020 but "Save" is greyed out.

Proxy hostname .... proxy.example.com
Bypass proxy for .... example com

I feel that I need to fill in both he "Proxy hostname" field and "Bypass proxy for" field

Anyone know about this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 04:46 PM

Re: Android Tablet ... fun!

Can't help I'm afraid, Android is a mystery to me!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 04:55 PM

I used to have a HUDL but, after a few months of fiddling, reverted to my phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Hudl

In April 2014, it was announced that Tesco had sold 500,000 Hudl tablets since launch, and a new model was planned. The second generation Hudl 2 was announced in October 2014, but, in October 2015 the brand was discontinued.
AFAIK, there's no help on the internet but you could try searching .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 05:08 PM

d00d

Go into your browser, select settings and disable Javascript

Then all those ads and pop ups and banners will disappear.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Which browser are you using? Go to the Google Play app store and install Brave browser, it has a built in ad blocker. It's what I use on my phone and tablet.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
d00d

Hey that sounds interesting, but .... isn't Javascript needed for anything else, displaying stuff other than ads?

I think I'd find that simple enough on my PC but I don't know how to find anything like a Control Panel in Android.

EDIT you said Browser! that's Chrome ... let me think!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

07-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Which browser are you using? Go to the Google Play app store and install Brave browser, it has a built in ad blocker. It's what I use on my phone and tablet.
Awe thanks Judd ... and that's better than Realist's suggestion???????????????
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:12 PM

d00d

Realist,I also have an Android tablet so im following this thread,if I disable Javascript wont it effect other areas of my usage on my tablet?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Yes, disabling JavaScript will affect other things. It's a balance between understanding what those other things are and how much you need them.

It's not just about adverts. Every website you visit goes through a whole loading process and runs a ton of scripts or programmes before and during that screen load. Some scripts are to do with the functionality of the screen like buttons and drop downs. Others can be tracking scripts, or harmful scripts doing "stuff" to your PC/laptop.

Disabling JavaScript stops all the bad stuff in its tracks. As a result I always have it disabled until I need it enabled for a given website like say online banking.

Take this forum for example. You absolutely don't need JavaScript enabled to use it. Some of the functionality will be missing with JavaScript disabled but nothing really vital. For example the bold, italic buttons won't work when you're typing a post, but you can use the manual codes instead i.e. putting a letter 'b' inside square brackets [] etc
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Yes, disabling JavaScript will affect other things. It's a balance between understanding what those other things are and how much you need them.

It's not just about adverts. Every website you visit goes through a whole loading process and runs a ton of scripts or programmes before and during that screen load. Some scripts are to do with the functionality of the screen like buttons and drop downs. Others can be tracking scripts, or harmful scripts doing "stuff" to your PC/laptop.

Disabling JavaScript stops all the bad stuff in its tracks. As a result I always have it disabled until I need it enabled for a given website like say online banking.

Take this forum for example. You absolutely don't need JavaScript enabled to use it. Some of the functionality will be missing with JavaScript disabled but nothing really vital. For example the bold, italic buttons won't work when you're typing a post, but you can use the manual codes instead i.e. putting a letter 'b' inside square brackets [] etc
Thanks Realist
very helpful,would you suggest this method rather than using an adblock app such as Brave which Judd is using then? Or is it just personal choice?
If its just a case of going to settings and turning off javascript I will give that a go ,its simple enough to turn it on again if I dont get along with it isnt it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top