Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 06:38 PM

What size is your phone's screen?

You've probably noticed that phones have been getting bigger and bigger over the years. The trend now is to reduce the bezels as much as possible whilst still having a large screen. A large screen is important to me as my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. A big screen also helps with inputting onto a larger keyboard

I've gone from a 3.5" screen on an Orange San Francisco in 2010 to a 6.5" screen on my iPhone XS Max. I don't think I'd want anything larger than 6.5", though. My litmus test is if the phone can sit comfortably in my front jeans pocket. The iPhone Max couldn't with the plastic case I had, but comfortably does with one of Apple's own leather cases.

Where will it all stop? I don't believe phone screens will get any larger in their current form, but I do believe foldable phones are on the way which will give users a much bigger space on which to type, watch videos, view photos etc.

What size is your phone screen? Do you believe they have gotten too big and prefer a 4" screen like they used to make?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 10:00 PM

Re: What size is your phone's screen?

There was a drive once to see who could make the smallest phones even down to making flip phones to reduce their overall footprint.

Today it has gone full circle. As internet access via 3G and 4G networks has developed and with data allowances getting cheaper for more access, phones are beginning to increase in size once again to take advantage of video streaming, internet games, taking photos and filming, and surfing the web. I access this site regularly on my phone during the day when I'm out and about or even from the safety of my warm bed when I can't be bothered firing up my PC.

Some are now `phablets`, a combination of a phone and tablet, the screens of which are too large and cumbersome for easy use so I think that a maximum 7" screened phone should be the limit for devices classed as phones. My phone is a little larger than 6" which is quite adequate for my needs. I too used to own an Orange San-Francisco phone and the screen was minute in comparison. Make me wonder how I managed to use it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Mine is about 30mm by 34 mm.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've gone from a 3.5" screen on an Orange San Francisco in 2010 to a 6.5" screen on my iPhone XS Max. I don't think I'd want anything larger than 6.5", though. My litmus test is if the phone can sit comfortably in my front jeans pocket...

Where will it all stop?
Er, when your jeans become ridiculously huge?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Good point.
I wear cargo pants. Pockets for the tiny phone, coins, the folding kind, a card, a pen, poo bags for my lovely dog, and door keys.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 01:15 AM

Some of us don't own a mobile phone.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
This doesn't compute
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

02-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It seems difficult for some to understand that.
I wouldn't have one if my wife hadn't got one for me in case something happened to me when I was out walking the dog. As I said before, if I get mugged it's just one more thing for the barstewards to nick. I rarely ever use it.

I had a company one and was on call 24/7. When I retired I thought I was done with that. So I didn't have one for a couple of years.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
No, it fits comfortably in the front pocket of my normal sized jeans. 6.5" really is the maximum of what would be comfortable, though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top