Join for free
Page 4 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Re: Hernia

Sounds a pretty rubbish system your employers are running Floydy and very likely illegal. Employers are not allowed to punish employees for being ill and have to make reasonable allowances for employees that return to work after an illness when they be less able to carry out the same tasks as before.

Here's a link to basic government advice...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sounds a pretty rubbish system your employers are running Floydy and very likely illegal. Employers are not allowed to punish employees for being ill and have to make reasonable allowances for employees that return to work after an illness when they be less able to carry out the same tasks as before.

Thanks Barry. I'm going to print that off and keep a copy with me at work
They tend to make their own rules at my divisional warehouse which is away from Head Office. There are so many petty and 'scapegoat' type instances going on, the company seems to be out just to punish people anytime they like.
But hey, that's other situations. Watch this space
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Excellent posts Primus and Twink. Thank you

Yes I'm in Unite for the sole reason that I've seen so much wrongdoing and dubious victimisation at my place. I thought I would join in three years ago and pending my chat with the Ops Manager (who, sadly is not the big boss I saw last time), I may end up phoning them.
The chat next Wednesday is about hopefully a role on days but I will also bring up this problem and get some things clarified. I'm seriously thinking of recording the conversation as the person I'm seeing is a notoriously vindictive individual. The HR department always side with the managers so that would be hopeless seeing them.
We'll see what happens.
Blimey Floydy, I thought I had worked for some shitty employers in the past but yours sounds like the pits.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

I agree.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 02:53 PM

In the past I've worked for a couple of 'dubious' employers, these were soon put right by a union representative. They were informed of the rules, both union and employment rules, and soon changed their stance.

If you have any dispute with your employer, despite what you are saying about the HR person, you really should have a representative from your union with you at any meetings as a witness to what is said. In my union I wasn't allowed in any meeting with an employer without the union representative.

Nobody should be treated like that due to illness or any health problem, in my opinion anyway. Probably that is also against employment law, maybe you should check all this out with your union directly.

Good luck with it all Floydy and I hope the health problem is soon sorted for you. Meanwhile don't go overdoing it, nothing is worth jeopardising your health for.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Hello Floydy

My company counts operations as yours will be as a "planned absence" and it does not count towards absences of an "uplanned nature" such as flu etc but is discounted when counting absences.

I empathise with your discomfort having had a hernia which was a nightmare but due to a previous surgery.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
Hello Floydy

My company counts operations as yours will be as a "planned absence" and it does not count towards absences of an "uplanned nature" such as flu etc but is discounted when counting absences.

I empathise with your discomfort having had a hernia which was a nightmare but due to a previous surgery.
I thought about this, Kazz. Thanks

I did inquire recently about my front crown being replaced in which I will probably need a night off following the treatment, which will be done in October. They initially said I would need to take the time off as sickness but after I questioned this as being a medical appointment, they relented and are now classing it as 'authorised absence'. I had to fight for it though. You wouldn't believe the way they operate at my company.

because my hernia will be a longer recovery they will put it down as sickness though, which I would agree with. It's the nature of their dealing with things as being almost a punishment, persecuting people because they have a medical complaint which is not right in my book. People cannot help being ill with obvious conditions such as this.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Yes I agree It will be a "sickness absence" however you will be given a date and they will be able to plan for it therefore a planned absence. Like jury service/paternity etc
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 11:53 PM

How did you get on at the doctors this afternoon Floydy?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-09-2019, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
How did you get on at the doctors this afternoon Floydy?
Hello mags, thanks for asking

Firstly I had some blood tests done as arranged but I inquired about seeing a doctor and was told the next appointment would be on the 17th September. I told them that I now had other problems (the left hernia now playing up too plus lower abdomen pain) which wasn't there on Thursday when I originally saw my GP.

Suddenly, the receptionist said "Well if you wait 15 minutes you can see a doctor". Funny isn't it, how does that work then? Anyway, I saw the doctor and she asked me if I wanted a sick note for two weeks or a 'return to work with amended duties' note. I plumped for the latter because as I mentioned before, they are very strict about sickness at work and I'll be taking a long spell of time off following my operation, whenever that may happen.

I write this at 12.30am now Mags, and I'm at my tea break. I've been putting away very small boxes into pick face locations as my 'light duties' but I'm in a great deal of pain - the back, hernias and groin area - and it's not very comfortable. But I'll struggle through it.

I have the meeting with the manager on Wednesday evening about my previous request to get back onto days and I intend to discuss the sickness policy and where people like myself fit in with working when they clearly should be resting at home. People are just afraid to take time off and there should be some kind of consideration for follow-up operations and appointments. In the meantime I'll carry on the best I can.

Looking at Google now I'm wondering if it's actually a stomach ulcer or worse...but you know how you can scare yourself to death by Googling such enquires.
I'll play it be ear and hope for the best!

Page 4 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top