Join for free
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Free care homes.

The oldest UK prisoner is 104.

There's close to two thousand who are over 70 and Screws, especially young Screws, are having to be carers.

There are mutterings about dedicated geriatric wings or even a dedicated jail.

Maybe some sort of secure bail hostel would be a solution and probably cost less per bed than a jail.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Free care homes.

They were discussing this on the telly this morning, Todger and the possibility of these people going into care homes.

One person said that some elderly people worry about affording care in later life. Many have to sell their homes and everything they worked for just to get some help and care when they are no longer able to cope alone.
I agree with this.

So why should a criminal, regardless of age, queue jump and be given a place in care before the law-abiding elderly?

If the prison want to build a new wing for elderly inmates with health problems, that's fair enough, but to release lots of prisoners during their sentence does not sit right with me, I'm afraid.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They were discussing this on the telly this morning, Todger and the possibility of these people going into care homes.

One person said that some elderly people worry about affording care in later life. Many have to sell their homes and everything they worked for just to get some help and care when they are no longer able to cope alone.

So why should a criminal, regardless of age, queue jump and be given a place in care before the law-abiding elderly?

If the prison want to build a new wing for elderly inmates with health problems, that's fair enough, but to release lots of prisoners during their sentence does not sit right with me, I'm afraid.

Hi

I totally agree Mups.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 04:06 PM

I think some care homes are more like prisons anyway and there is no way I would want to live in one.
I am 92, live on my own and manage quite well thankyou and I have said several times the only way I will leave my home is in a box.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 05:52 PM

If they were to release these prisoners they would likely end up in a care home for free anyway. I guess the point they are trying to make is that the prison service is unable to act as a care home as they do not have the skills to cope with say someone who has dementia.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 05:56 PM

What should happen is that anyone who doesn't choose to go private gets free care if they need it. This should not be so expensive if people are given care in their own home. Instead they either rely on an army of slave family carers or they try to steal the assets of someone who has worked all their life. When those who haven't get it free. That's just wrong.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 06:18 PM

I do not get help from family carers. Just the opposite. I have two daughter who both live around five miles from me but they do nothing as regards home care and why should they. They, like the majority of today,s younger generation have to work darned hard to stay free of debt and worry.
I do have a lady come in and do my housework for me once a week and pay her from my pension but otherwise I manage quite well. I am the world,s worse cook, I can even burn water. I live mostly on ready meals from the freezer. Not very appetising but I,ve got used to them now. If I thought I needed more help I would willingly pay for it. I would rather pay more than the going rate than go into a nursing home but do realise that perhaps one day I will have no choice.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If they were to release these prisoners they would likely end up in a care home for free anyway. I guess the point they are trying to make is that the prison service is unable to act as a care home as they do not have the skills to cope with say someone who has dementia.
If they are that old they are serious murderers and should have been eliminated in the first place so this problem would not arise.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I do not get help from family carers. Just the opposite. I have two daughter who both live around five miles from me but they do nothing as regards home care and why should they. They, like the majority of today,s younger generation have to work darned hard to stay free of debt and worry.
I do have a lady come in and do my housework for me once a week and pay her from my pension but otherwise I manage quite well. I am the world,s worse cook, I can even burn water. I live mostly on ready meals from the freezer. Not very appetising but I,ve got used to them now. If I thought I needed more help I would willingly pay for it. I would rather pay more than the going rate than go into a nursing home but do realise that perhaps one day I will have no choice.
Sounds like you are doing just fine Ben

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top