Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 05:39 AM

B12

Does anyone else suffer with B12 Deficiency its usually classed as Pernicious Anemia or sometimes in elderly people it can become a deficiency .
I nearly died a few years ago as i hardly had any B12 left in me and the doctors kept missing what was wrong with me .I was in bed unable to get downstairs i lost the power of speech twice and now i have nerve damage for life in my back and foot which play up and give me constant pain if i get stress or hot or both,
For 6 years before i was really ill every so often my foot would erupt in the most awful pain and i would be sweating and feeling sick with the pain from it..Doctor decided i had arthritis !!!!!!!!I wont bore you with details but i was up and down the doctors every week as i knew something was wrong with me and the doctor was of no use at all..Its only when i demanded blood tests and some one noticed my blood cells were misshapen that i got any luck off the doctor who soon swung into action when he found out how low my B12 was I then had to get B12 injections every other day for 3 weeks and then every 12 weeks its since been reduced to every 10 weeks as i wasnt managing,You would be shocked how fast B12 dissapears when the body isnt absorbing it anymore.
I have had it all my life and its been every so often i got symptoms then i would be ok again its a very deceptive illnesss.Doctors are naff when it comes to diagnosing you people used to die from it before the injections and you would think they would have more knowledge.
I believe i kept myself alive for years as i am keen on herbs and used to drink loads of nettle tea which has traces of b12 in it..I take B12 in methycobalamin tablets daily i do not just rely on the doctor anymore..I help myself..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Re: B12

Oooooohhhhhhh - this sounds really nasty Mary darlin' - keep taking the tablets and lets hope this works for you and you won't ever suffer like this again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 09:42 AM

That sounds horrible Mary , thank goodness you were able to get the condition under control yourself no thanks to the doctors...
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Well i get injections every 10 weeks so that keeps me going i just supplement myself with lozenges and tablets during the 10 weeks..A lot of people in their 60s onwards get B12 injections as when you get older your body stops absorbing it..The worst thing is the nerve damage as that never repairs and its like a periphal nerve pain which is blistering sharp..I sort of know when mine will occur so i keep away from anything which may trigger it..You would be surprised how many older people get short of this vitamin..I had symptoms all my life but it seemed to come and go and no one had any explanations..They would test me for the iron anemia but never the pernicious anemia..I get tired sometimes and often have a afternoon sleep..and i am not as out going as i was as i watch what i eat and drink now ..I am careful about what i drink as alchol makes blood cells larger and mine are allready larger.so i do have a drink but stay on cider ..At least the doctor here increased my injections as the one where i used to live was next to useless..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 12:23 PM

That sounds awful, Mary I hope you are able to keep it under control....
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 01:53 PM

yes have them now agean I do not eat meat at all
callumsmum
warwickshire uk

27-10-2011, 03:54 PM

I dont eat much meat either i have never liked it since i was knee high..But i do eat cheese and dairy so thats ok except for vegans not eating meat is not the root cause of it..a few vegans get it but its either genetic or old age deficiency..
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 03:59 PM

I have skim millk and a yorgert thats it
been of meat 2 half months and i feel less tired
did it for my health as I have a a heart problem
callumsmum
warwickshire uk

27-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Gosh i hope you get better soon i had high cholestrol a couple of years ago and they gave me statins and thats sorted that out..Getting old isnt a great joy especially when your mind is still active and you feel young and the body lets you down..I have gained a stone since i got here last year and i really need to get it off i may start cycling again..when it stops raining..
pixie
Canada

27-10-2011, 04:09 PM

wiating for a heart valve opertion right now
high colsertrol here also high bp they did angnogram 2 weeks ago my artaries are in good shape no blockages
so will not go back to meat reagrdless now best thing i ever did

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top