Join for free
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 11:46 PM

Re: Dieting

Originally Posted by stablelady ->
Since I stopped working with horses, I have piled on the beef - there is no other way to describe it! Stood on the scales nearly a month ago and almost burst into tears ... all my own fault of course so I decided to do something about it!

I had a friend who gave herself a 'treat' every time she lost half a stone. She would go and have a pedicure to celebrate after 6 months she had the most beautiful feet and was a shadow of her former self
This sounds like me Stablelady...I stepped on the scales yesterday and had a heck of a shock as I'm the heaviest I've ever been which probably explains why my clothes are getting tight!!

My problem is how to "get in the right frame of mind" I know what I need to do to lose weight as I tend to snack a lot so just need to stop eating in between meals, but that's easier said than done. So hopefully I might get some incentive from this thread, pretty please
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 10:59 AM

I can't get my head around the Atkins Diet.My husband tried it a few years ago and the weight dropped off him.He was eating the full fat version of everything and the tiniest ammount of fruit and veggies.It seemed to go against all we'd ever learned about healthy eating.
The biggest shock for me though was that not only did he lose weight relatively quickly but his cholesterol levels plummeted from 9.2 to 5.4.........How does that work when you're eating so much full fat food.........
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Yes Mags, that is I have 1 rasher of bacon and two fried eggs my husband has a hamburger, (no bread) slice of cheese, 1/2 tomato, gerkin and Romaine lettuce topped with a fried egg

Lunch is a small bowl of soup (home made chicken)

Dinner 2 small bratwurst and two fried eggs.

for something sweet we have sugar free jelly and maybe a little cream

We drink two litres of water flavoured with sugar free squash (just a hint) caffiene free coffee in the morning with cream.

On this husband has lost 20lbs sins January 1st and I have lost 5lbs since January 30th.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Angler ->
I can't get my head around the Atkins Diet.My husband tried it a few years ago and the weight dropped off him.He was eating the full fat version of everything and the tiniest ammount of fruit and veggies.It seemed to go against all we'd ever learned about healthy eating.
The biggest shock for me though was that not only did he lose weight relatively quickly but his cholesterol levels plummeted from 9.2 to 5.4.........How does that work when you're eating so much full fat food.........

It's something to do with good and bad cholesterol.l Also the body starved of carbs begins to use your own fat for energy. As the body is used to using thecarbohydrates we for energy turning what we don't use into fat.

The American Indians and the Eskimos show this way of eating best. They had very little carbohydrates and sugars in their diet and lived a very feast and famine sort of way so that now they don't have to use so much energy many of them are obese when living on a modern Western Diet.

They are also suffering from what was unknown to them previously diabetes. My husband is a diabetic and his blood sugars have now after one month on Atkins gone down to normal meaning he can cut out much of his medication.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks for that info Cate.

On this husband has lost 20lbs sins January 1st and I have lost 5lbs since January 30th.
That's an amazing weight loss.......

For your hubby to come off his medication is fantastic.When my hubby tried it I must admit I didn't really look into the science of it that much ,just followed menu plans, but I think we'll both have another go.I've tried low fat,the F-Plan,food combining etc........none of which work for me.Thanks again.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 01:57 PM

That's interesting to read Cate, so are you doing the Atkins diet yourself then??
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-02-2012, 02:32 PM

MarpaulYes back to old Atkins I fall of the wagon but always go back because for us it really is the best way. For us that is, I was on a low fat diet for a month and only lost 4lbs since Monday another 5lbs has gone and I feel full of energy.

LADY ANGLER If I can be any help when you start low carbing please give me a shout. I have all the books and recipes and me and hubs have done Atkins several times and lost a lot of weight which we have foolishly put back on.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Funnily enough, I had a company medical a few days ago.Whilst blood pressure, pulse, pee and cholesterol were well within tolerance, my BMI is only just on the acceptable side and one choccy bar away from the wrong side.

So today it's cut-out time and have sacrificed my usual weekend coffee and muffins, biscuits and any sweets I tend to suck whilst driving.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Your muffin and biccys and sweets are your down fall if you had a full English Breakfast minus the fried bread or toast you would be looking in the right direction. I did try low fat eating bran flakes in the morning or porridge, a cup of soup at lunch with a pitta bread and maybe pasta with a light tomato sauce at niight. I lost 4lbs but eating Atkins it has been nearly a week and five pounds is gorn.

Mind you if you drive then boredom raises his ugly head what I used to give hubs when he drove a van was a large container of apples, grapes plums or cherries. He wouldn't go for the carrot sticks but he did begin to lose his belly fat

As it turned out that was wrong for him as he was a diabetic but didn't know it then so hey ho best of luck Graham it is bloomin hard.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 08:05 PM

I am starting Atkins on monday I have a couple of stone to lose, my friend lost over 4 st last year and has not regained it back she ate mostly strawberries and steak. Good luck everyone including myself I will report back. maybe we could have a weigh loss bit on here as I would definately use it. Mollie 7stone doesnt sound a lot for a grown woman are you very tiny all over height, feet etc? its extremely petite

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top