Join for free
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Should smoking be banned outside?

...except on private property?

Speaking as an ex-smoker I may come across as a bit hypocritical.

But there is a shopping park near me where Sainsbury's is at the far end. To get to it you have to pass a number of shops including a bingo hall. During the bingo hall breaks (and at other times) there are a plethora of people standing still, smoking.

There is no way as a pedestrian to avoid the clouds of smoke as you walk by to get to the supermarket.

The same goes for the outside of pubs where people congregate to have a cigarette.

Or would this be a law too far?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:43 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
...except on private property?

Speaking as an ex-smoker I may come across as a bit hypocritical.

But there is a shopping park near me where Sainsbury's is at the far end. To get to it you have to pass a number of shops including a bingo hall. During the bingo hall breaks (and at other times) there are a plethora of people standing still, smoking.

There is no way as a pedestrian to avoid the clouds of smoke as you walk by to get to the supermarket.

The same goes for the outside of pubs where people congregate to have a cigarette.

Or would this be a law too far?

I would like to see it, but its never going to happen!!!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:45 PM

I don't think smoking should be banned altogether. Why shouldn't we indulge in something we like. I don't smoke myself.

It should go back to the old days, when inside a Pub, you had the Smokers area and the Bar/Dining area.

I don't want people to smoke while I am eating, but if they were in a separate part of the Pub then that is different.

Why should you ban smoking outside?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Probably, I gave up smoking 23 years ago and the smell of cigarette smoke can sometimes make me crave them, other times it is unpleasant, depending on the brand I think.
Probably the only way to stop even more people smoking is to ban it everywhere in public places.
I notice some hospitals have smoke free grounds and car parks now.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Shall we ban bonfires & cars as well?
We're probably breathing in far worse from vehicle fumes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Yep
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
That's true.

I'm all in favour of bonfires though.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:50 PM

It could perhaps be banned outside public places (shops, bars, offices).

As an ex smoker I find it unpleasant anywhere around me. My nice neighbour downstairs who is 82 finds that she has to shut her bedroom windows when the people from one other property come outside to smoke (presumably because they are not allowed to smoke in the house).
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

11-06-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's true.

I'm all in favour of bonfires though.
What banning them or lighting them LD?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->

There are areas where bonfires are already banned - 'smokeless zones' - all it lacks are proper enforcement.

Internal combustion vehicles are gradually being banned, either by prohibition and no-go areas in cities and towns, or being replaced by electric vehicles.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top