Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 08:46 PM

Re: Colour galore

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can almost smell that just looking at the picture Mups.

It really is beautiful, I am ever so pleased with it. I've got 4 of them.

Isn't there a saying something about "Take time to smell the roses" - something like that, and it is true. I love doing that, it's a few moment of bliss and always cheers me up.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Just treated meself to this gorgeous one today.
The smell is wonderful and very strong, luv it.
It's called 'Gentle Hermione.'

In the smealler photo's underneath the main one, the second one in from the left, slightly peachy/pale apricotish, is more like it really is than the main pink photo.

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/gentle-hermione
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

In the smealler photo's underneath the main one, the second one in from the left, slightly peachy/pale apricotish, is more like it really is than the main pink photo.

That looks lovely Mups.

I have to say that all my DA roses have come out lovely this year. The only slight problem is that the blooms are bit too heavy for the stems but I'm hoping that will improve with age.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:17 PM

What a lovely rose Mups, it must be a treat to go into your garden at the moment with all the beautiful scented roses.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks dongle and mags.
The rose I bought today needs a bit of tlc, but I'm hoping I can get it round in the end.
I think Peter Beale (Classic Roses) does some excellent plants, even better than David Austin sometimes.

https://www.classicroses.co.uk/

My most favourite flowers are roses and the little garden pinks, I love 'em both. I love the variety of beautiful colours in both, and also the heavenly fragrances.

I have bought quite a few Pinks off these people. They breed them and I've always had good plants from them.
One of my favourites for heady perfume is a pure white one called 'Memories', it knocks your socks off, it really does.

http://www.whetmanpinks.com/

There is also a fabulous deep, bright red called 'Passion' which I love too. I've got so many, and I'm still addicted to taking more cuttings.

I suppose there's worse vices though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:32 PM

Just curious Mups ... what's the difference between pinks and carnations?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-06-2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Just curious Mups ... what's the difference between pinks and carnations?

I think the Carnations are usually taller Mags, longer stems for cut flowers. I'm not sure, but I think Carnations are also grown all year round in heated greenhouses for floristry too, whereas Pinks are normally garden plants.

I don't much like florists flowers normally, as they might as well be made of cardboard for all the scent they have.

Having said that, I did a little experiment back in the tail end of winter. I had a very small bunch of florist carnations I had bought myself in Asda for a bit of winter colour indoors, everwhere was so drab in winter.
Anyway, I saw a yellow 'frilled' bunch with a fine red line on the edge of each frill. I rather liked them and took a cutting, just the one. It worked! I now have a tiny plant which I am hoping will be like the parent plants with yellow frilly petals with the red edging.
If/when it blooms, I'll try and take a picture and show you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

13-06-2018, 11:24 PM

I think the Carnations are usually taller Mags, longer stems for cut flowers. I'm not sure, but I think Carnations are also grown all year round in heated greenhouses for floristry too, whereas Pinks are normally garden plants.

I don't much like florists flowers normally, as they might as well be made of cardboard for all the scent they have.

Having said that, I did a little experiment back in the tail end of winter. I had a very small bunch of florist carnations I had bought myself in Asda for a bit of winter colour indoors, everwhere was so drab in winter.
Anyway, I saw a yellow 'frilled' bunch with a fine red line on the edge of each frill. I rather liked them and took a cutting, just the one. It worked! I now have a tiny plant which I am hoping will be like the parent plants with yellow frilly petals with the red edging.
If/when it blooms, I'll try and take a picture and show you.
That makes sense Mups, the carnations I have bought from a florist rarely have a scent .... sometimes just the white ones give off a slight whiff.
That will be interesting to see what your cutting turns out like
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-06-2018, 10:29 AM

That makes sense Mups, the carnations I have bought from a florist rarely have a scent .... sometimes just the white ones give off a slight whiff.

Yes it will Mags. What I am waiting to see is whether it will be perfumed or not. I don't know if the lack of frangrance of the of the supermaket flowers is due to the growing conditions, or the actual variety of flower - I imagine its the variety of flower, but I want to see if the perfume will come back grown as a garden plant.
I love playing about with things like this.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 11:12 AM

Strange isn't it. Carnations were always used as button holes at weddings for that reason, because they had such a strong perfume. I love the smell or carnations and pinks.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top