Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Re: Weight loss plan

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I've found the best diet is to never be hungry by filling up on good, healthy food...........and then push that on a bit with the 5 : 2

Porridge for breakfast is great.
Home made vegetable soup at lunchtime - no bread.
A healthy 500 calorie evening meal - use a smaller than usual plate. 1/2 full with vegetables; 1/4 carbs; 1/4 protein.

If you want a snack eat an apple.

Always drink a large glass of water before eating!
Good advice Lindy

I am not a fan of diets, they cause people's weigh to yo yo, as soon as they start eating normally again the body piles the weight back on in preparation for another 'famine'.

You have to be strong minded and decide on a permanent change in life style.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 04:08 PM

I changed to vegetarian and have lost a stone and a half in ten months.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
I changed to vegetarian and have lost a stone and a half in ten months.
But isn't that a reflection of how much meat you were eating?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 11:12 PM

A lady I chat to at my aqua fit class has gone from a size 18 to a size 12 in about 9 months. She told me she started off using the slimming pill Orlistat but as she has got used to eating less she doesn't need them anymore.

Are slimming pills all that bad? She looks & feels fantastic!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
She told me she started off using the slimming pill Orlistat but as she has got used to eating less she doesn't need them anymore.

Are slimming pills all that bad? She looks & feels fantastic!
Personally, whilst the initial success may seem fantastic, I don't expect it to last. The internet is awash with short term success stories and the well known slimming clubs in particular are always keen to show case women who have lot lots of weight on their plans. The truth however is that the VAST MAJORITY never manage to sustain that weight loss and put it back on over the following 2 years and usually with more weight besides.

Your friend says she now eats less than she did. But she could have simply done that herself without using the Orlistat pill but I guess she didn't . . . . . . hmmm.

Now she is saying she WILL eat less.

The proof of that pudding is to see where she is in 1 year's time and 2 year's time.

I remain highly sceptical of any diet or fast weight loss plan/system. I firmly believe they simply do not, and can not work as a permanent fix.

The permanent fix is always to understand what foods the body needs and to just eat those good foods/ingredients. Your friend obviously had NOT reached that mind set and reached for a pill instead. On that basis I find it hard to believe that her initial weight loss will be sustained.

Sorry
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:22 AM

About Orlistat (Alli) pills:

"A review of several studies indicates orlistat can result in an average of 7 pounds more weight loss than when the drug isn’t used.

Since this only amounts to about 3% of starting weight for subjects involved in studies, it’s not that impressive. And most participants regained the lost weight gradually after the initial year-long treatment period.

For contrast, another study compared the outcome of subjects who followed a low-carb diet without drug intervention with the results realized by those using orlistat. The low-carb diet was equally effective as the low-fat diet with orlistat for weight loss. "

Some positives:

■ Patients taking Alli experience a drop in total cholesterol levels, as well as lower LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) measurements.

■ An analysis of multiple studies with patients who took Alli showed a mild reduction in blood pressure. (7)

■ Participants in the 4-year Swedish study of subjects using orlistat dropped their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by a whopping 37%

Some problems:

■ Flatulence

■ Abdominal pain

■ Diarrhea

■ Loose stools with an oily texture

■ Fecal incontinence

"Since the digestive system is blocked from absorbing a significant portion of fat, nutrients that are fat-soluble may not be fully utilized by the body.

This creates the potential for a shortage of vitamins A, D, E, and K, which are all fat-soluble nutrients. Patients are usually advised to take a multi-vitamin supplement when using Alli."

https://bodynutrition.org/alli-diet-pills/

In the end, for me this is just another Big Pharma money spinnier that preys on the weak and vulnerable. Same old same old.

We are human beings. We need good food for our fuel. It really is that simple. imo.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 06:33 AM

Did read some where that if Fatties had a big meal put in front of them they would the eat the lot.

BUT if they were blindfolded and the same meal was put in front of them they could only eat half of the same meal before they felt full.

Basic thought all fatties are pigs.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Did read some where that if Fatties had a big meal put in front of them they would the eat the lot.

BUT if they were blindfolded and the same meal was put in front of them they could only eat half of the same meal before they felt full.

Basic thought all fatties are pigs.
Hmmm not a very pleasant remark to make! But then all unpleasant people are idiots!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 09:18 AM

All my life I've belonged to slimming clubs , like a lot I became obsessed , the weighing in days were awful to be informed 1lb had gone on when I'd been good all week . A year or so ago I decided to stop going , and gained weight , just over a stone . So I know realist is right when he says long term clubs and diets don't work . I'm trying to eat healthy now and doing more excersise.

Regarding the low fat yoghurt and the amount of sugar it contains I'm shocked , so my question is , is there a lower sugar alternative as I do eat natural yoghurt most days .
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 02:27 PM

I have checked my 'Live set Natural Yogurt' Pakeeza brand bought in Tesco.
It's 425 grams. with 81 calories per 100.
It does not contain sugar.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top