Join for free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:22 PM

Chemotherapy

I think there are two or three of us going through chemo at the moment and I know many of you have been through it and are survivors! I’ve been today and although I don’t feel I’ll, I feel very tired. I have to make an early start to get to Scarborough Hospital for 8.30 am and spend a good six hours on the unit.
The unit at Scarborough is very small (8 places) and so we get to know everyone and have a good rapport with the nurses.

I wonder if any of you had Hickman lines. I have one fitted and the only disadvantage I find is that it has to be flushed weekly which could make holidays difficult. For the next two days I have a pump attached to the line which is slowly pumping the drugs into me. I go to our local hospital on Friday for it to be removed.

There are so many different kinds of chemo, would love to hear the experiences of others.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:28 PM

Re: Chemotherapy

So sorry to hear you're having to have chemo. I have no personal experience, but a friend told me that having someone who can join you at the hospital - preferably laden with all kinds of goodies - smoked salmon sandwiches etc - makes the time go faster and better. I'm also told chemo can leave you with a very dry mouth - ice lollies are good..........

Very best of luck to you.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Thank you Lindyloo. My hubby stays with me on the unit, he’s very supportive and doesn’t like leaving me! I do get lunch provided but we make a pack up for him which we share as it is better than the hospital food. Smoked salmon sandwiches sounds yummy, also my favourite prawn mayo. We leave lunch in the car as it is too warm on the unit so they will survive. Ice lollies, I could eat one now!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Thank you Lindyloo. My hubby stays with me on the unit, he’s very supportive and doesn’t like leaving me! I do get lunch provided but we make a pack up for him which we share as it is better than the hospital food. Smoked salmon sandwiches sounds yummy, also my favourite prawn mayo. We leave lunch in the car as it is too warm on the unit so they will survive. Ice lollies, I could eat one now!
Sometimes hubbies need a bit of help..........so, I suggest you ask him to get a cool bag and a gel pack to put in the freezer. Then when you go to the hospital, take those with you and ask him to visit the local Waitrose or M&S.......again, a shopping list needed. Don't hold back........your list is his command!!!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:45 PM

Sorry to hear you are ill and going through chemo Val, I hope the treatment is successful. xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Hi Val I haven't any personal experience of chemo but have family members who have gone through it one some years ago. When she had to have it again quite recently she said it was a much better experience these days.

I think it affects each person differently as does most medication, if you have bad days you just have to tell yourself 'this will pass, it isn't forever'.

I suggested to my sister that she made ginger biscuits for a family member who was having chemo last year and felt nauseous and it seemed to help him to eat .

I hope your condition improves with the treatment and that you are well soon...
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:48 PM

Thoughts and good wishes to anyone going through chemo at the moment.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 12:33 AM

My mother in law went through chemo therapy 5 years ago and I know others that have been through it. I agree on ginger ( which is great for nausea )
Some people find using peppermint oil helpful misted in one of those infusers.
Peppermint also helps with nausea. Peppermint tea.
Plenty of fresh air. Sleep well!
Agree on the frozen fabric beanie. Very helpful.
My family GP’s wife used canna cookies for her nausea when she went through it but its controversial. Keep close to family and friends. Try to stay positive.
Good luck to you either way.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 07:20 AM

Val, first let me say that you will never feel healthy when having Chemo, because they are putting measured doses of poison into your body.... and tiredness is one of the most common side effects...... I know from the experience I shared with many others on the chemo ward!

Hickman lines are very useful when you have cancer but, wherever you are going on holiday, please make sure you have access to a hospital. My friend got an infection through hers and ended up in hospital with Sepsis, a very unpleasant illness.
Please don't worry because you will probably be fine but, if you feel ill, make sure you get to a hospital and let them know you have a Hickman line.......early treatment saved my friends life!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:20 AM

My good friend had a terrible time on chemo. They said she was "allergic" to it. She couldn't move or eat. They put her on chemo drugs in the end and that helped. But I think the drugs are more expensive so they don't do this unless they have to.

Has anyone tried fasting before and after chemo? When my friend was going through this I did some research and apparently it helps with both the side effects and in making the treatment more effective.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top