Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 06:23 PM

Damp.

The outside wall in one of our bedrooms is very damp.

Different builders have given different opinions. We've had the guttering cleared, the chimney stack pointed and roof tiles replaced.

The damp's still there - worse than ever.

I don't want to ask any more builders. It's a waste of time & money as all they seem to do is guess!

Who could diagnose the problem for me? - Do you think I need a surveyor?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Re: Damp.

How is the pointing on that wall?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 06:48 PM

I don't really know myself without going up a ladder but none of the builders we've had so far have commented on the pointing.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 06:55 PM

is it cavity wall?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 07:02 PM

If you mean it's damp on the inside could it be condensation? Is there a cold spot at that point and very little ventilation? These are the things that I'd be looking for..
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 07:02 PM

A damp meter with two prongs (under £20) would help you establish the limits. Has the cavity been filled, or is the house built before that ?
A surveyor with formaal qualifications would be advisable.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

27-05-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
is it cavity wall?
No - it's an old house.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

27-05-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
If you mean it's damp on the inside could it be condensation? Is there a cold spot at that point and very little ventilation? These are the things that I'd be looking for..
There's no condensation in there Barry.

It's very worrying because it's little irregularly shaped patches about as big as a hand just blending into each other from top to bottom - corner to corner.

After we had the guttering cleared and the chimney pot pointed we thought it would dry out but it hasn't. Now it's spreading to the bedroom next door which is my bedroom!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

27-05-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
A surveyor with formal qualifications would be advisable.
Dobra - thank you. I thought of getting a surveyor but didn't know if it was the right thing to do.

I've asked a man I know who has a ladder to take a look at the guttering just in case it wasn't unblocked properly last time.

My husband has Alzheimer's & I have to handle all household problems now.

Thank goodness I can come here for advice.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Whilst he's up the ladder, get him to look at breaks in the guttering or supports missing and whilst he's up there, get him to poke at the pointing.. If its loose it will break away easily

I had a flat with one soaking wet wall and it was the guttering. It had shifted and was tilting toward the wall which meant the water was just pouring against it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top