Join for free
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

The entire smoking industry will radically change just as soon as Private Health Insurance becomes compulsory, which is imho clearly where everything is headed.

Whilst people should be free to indulge in whatever habits they like (so long as it doesn't impact others adversely), there should equally be full accountability for areas of society where their habits have a wider impact.

If I enjoyed racing my car around a field with other like minded people and claimed on my insurance whenever it got pranged, then it's entirely reasonable for the rest of society to say, "no that's not acceptable because it results in everyone else having higher insurance premiums".
Accordingly, insurance companies heavily penalise those who refuse to behave sensibly with their cars until the driver simply can no longer afford to insure their vehicle.

With smokers there needs to be accountability for the individual's decision to forego their health to feed their addiction. It's absolutely not acceptable for the rest of society to pay more and more towards health services whilst such reckless people do not behave sensibly and end up having to be treated for all manner of related illnesses and conditions.

When mandatory private health insurance comes in things will be very different. Those who stupidly smoke or vape will find their premiums astronomical and that will price many of them out of the market. They will then find themselves in a bit of a spot. A catch-22 situation. They would have to have some insurance, but the cost would be so high as to be unaffordable for many. What would happen? Would the government have to instruct hospitals not to treat such people? Would they be forced to sell their homes to pay for health care, just like old people have to for elderly care? Or would insurance companies simply massively restrict what specific treatments they would pay out on leaving smokers and vapers having to foot huge bills to be treated for lung cancer and clogged arteries and the like?

Smoking, for me, has always been an utterly ludicrous thing to do, a very serious form of self-harm, hence I've never done it. I do despair that society does allow the tobacco industry to exist, just as I despair that it allows the drug industries to exist.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Personally I wouldn't ban it. If anyone wants a smoke here they pop out the back door, my son uses one of those vapour things and he's outside for that too. Besides what would the Government do if the tobacco tax stopped, I hate to think what they'd tax to replace it..
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

With smokers there needs to be accountability for the individual's decision to forego their health to feed their addiction. It's absolutely not acceptable for the rest of society to pay more and more towards health services whilst such reckless people do not behave sensibly and end up having to be treated for all manner of related illnesses and conditions.
You really talk cobblers sometimes.
The amount of tax smokers pay, more than covers their treatment. As far as I know, they actually make money out of smokers overall.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The entire smoking industry will radically change just as soon as Private Health Insurance becomes compulsory, which is imho clearly where everything is headed.

Whilst people should be free to indulge in whatever habits they like (so long as it doesn't impact others adversely), there should equally be full accountability for areas of society where their habits have a wider impact.

If I enjoyed racing my car around a field with other like minded people and claimed on my insurance whenever it got pranged, then it's entirely reasonable for the rest of society to say, "no that's not acceptable because it results in everyone else having higher insurance premiums".
Accordingly, insurance companies heavily penalise those who refuse to behave sensibly with their cars until the driver simply can no longer afford to insure their vehicle.

When mandatory private health insurance comes in things will be very different. Those who stupidly smoke or vape will find their premiums astronomical and that will price many of them out of the market. They will then find themselves in a bit of a spot. A catch-22 situation. They would have to have some insurance, but the cost would be so high as to be unaffordable for many. What would happen? Would the government have to instruct hospitals not to treat such people? Would they be forced to sell their homes to pay for health care, just like old people have to for elderly care? Or would insurance companies simply massively restrict what specific treatments they would pay out on leaving smokers and vapers having to foot huge bills to be treated for lung cancer and clogged arteries and the like?

Smoking, for me, has always been an utterly ludicrous thing to do, a very serious form of self-harm, hence I've never done it. I do despair that society does allow the tobacco industry to exist, just as I despair that it allows the drug industries to exist.
Oh go on, I'm bored so I'll disagree with you.

I wouldn't wax too lyrical about the advantages of mandatory private health care.
Whilst it might seem a great idea, and a fair idea, to force smoker's to pay for their own health conditions stemming from smoking to be truly fair any women giving birth should foot the whole bill for her maternity care ... and any parents should pay for their own child's health care ... and obese people should pay for their own health care ....

I assume old people won't have to as it's just natural decrepitude and wear and tear and not a life choice.

Incidentally .... because I've cut down on smoking, with the money I've saved I am now buying gold bars .... unless you've got some you made earlier and are willing to sell to me at a competitive reduced rate.
I will insist on a proper hallmark though.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:51 PM

I would have thought any woman who was particular about herself would never have picked up a cigarette and put it to her mouth, if she knew she would end up with a deep gravelly man voice, deep lines round her lips from puckering for a drag, awful skin, yellowing hair and stinking of fags!

I suppose all that comes secondary in your thoughts, if you have the addiction.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:53 PM

How did you know?

* said in a deep manly voice *
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I would have thought any woman who was particular about herself would never have picked up a cigarette and put it to her mouth, if she knew she would end up with a deep gravelly man voice, deep lines round her lips from puckering for a drag, awful skin, yellowing hair and stinking of fags!

I suppose all that comes secondary in your thoughts, if you have the addiction.
I haven'[t got a deep voice, deep lines, awful skin or yellowing hair, well, its blonde but thats my natural colour lol. Mind you, I don't smoke anymore. Thats some view of smokers you got there lass.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I haven'[t got a deep voice, deep lines, awful skin or yellowing hair, well, its blonde but thats my natural colour lol. Mind you, I don't smoke anymore. Thats some view of smokers you got there lass.
They must all live in my area then!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 06:05 PM

Well, the lady nextdoor, who when I moved in I thought was in her 70's, coughs her lungs up every morning, she's an ex smoker now vaping stinky sweet stuff.

Guess what!

She's actually younger than me!
So glad I gave up!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

11-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
They must all live in my area then!!
Most likely .... I've got all the obese wibble wobble walkers where I live.

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top