Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Arthur Bell - Golden Bouquet

I bought one of these roses a couple of weeks ago. Gorgeous looking and gorgeous smelling. the smell makes me want to eat it

Anyway it's still in the pot, can be kept in it for one season apparently. I make sure it has enough water in this weather.

Question: It says full sun, partial shade, but it doesn't do 'happy' in full sun, so I make sure it's in a shaded area by the back door. It perks up then.

Anyone?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Re: Arthur Bell - Golden Bouquet

Hi Pesta,i have a rose,not sure the name of it,i cut it back every year,it's around six feet tall,bushes out beautifully, it's yellow,started flowering ,beginning of may,you are right about the sun,mine gets the morning sun,then shade,and it's thriving, i would take a picture for you to see,but it only has a few flower's on it,the smell is divine.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hi Pesta,i have a rose,not sure the name of it,i cut it back every year,it's around six feet tall,bushes out beautifully, it's yellow,started flowering ,beginning of may,you are right about the sun,mine gets the morning sun,then shade,and it's thriving, i would take a picture for you to see,but it only has a few flower's on it,the smell is divine.
Hi Pauline... Yes, this one doesn't mind the morning sun, but after that, it seems to need shade.

I've never been much into growing roses, thinking they might be to demanding.

But, the other year I took the plunge and bought one. It was lovely, quite prolific with flowers, but prone to pests. So far this year, that one's not a happy bunny

I love this new one
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Yes!..roses are prone to pests,mine always gets green fly,as soon as i see them,i watered down,washing up liquid,works a treat,i spray the rose all over,it works well,and no damage to the rose.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Yes!..roses are prone to pests,mine always gets green fly,as soon as i see them,i watered down,washing up liquid,works a treat,i spray the rose all over,it works well,and no damage to the rose.
Yes, I do that too. And, if I cut any flowers for the house, I dip them in watered down washing up liquid, just in case

The one that's not doing well, isn't responding to that this year. Last year it had some funny insects in it too.

Strangely the new one, Golden Bouquet, is next to it and isn't suffering with green fly or pests at all. Makes me love it all the more
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-07-2018, 12:01 PM

I'm falling out of love with it.

The flowers are all but gone. No sign of any buds for new ones either.

I've a rambler in the flower bed that just keeps on flowering, no probs. Plenty of buds awaiting to open. Doesn't seem to need any TLC.

Considering this one's supposed to be a proific flowerer all summer long, it seems to be done.

Is that it now then? Am I doing something wrong? Is it because it's in a pot? The other one prone to pests is in a pot, and isn't doing well either.

(I'm a bit green in the rose department)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 12:46 PM

I had this problem with David Austin Roses (no new buds) their advice was to prune back to the next set of leaves. I did this and new buds appeared.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-07-2018, 08:26 PM

Oh thanks Dingy - will get on to that tomorrow.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Oh thanks Dingy - will get on to that tomorrow.
And water them well. A bucket of water per day apparently.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-07-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
And water them well. A bucket of water per day apparently.
A bucket?

Actually, I do water it well, I did wonder if I watered it too much TBH.

Just had a thought Dingy, when you say next 'set of leaves' down, do you mean those immediately below the faded flower or further down where there are a couple of V branch type areas?

(say you know what I mean, please )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top