Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Your curry recipes please

I am never happy with my curries tbh.
So I would love you to share your recipes.
Thank-you in advance
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 03:44 PM

Re: Your curry recipes please

Arm yourself with a jar of Patak's curry paste (not cook-in sauce), preferably the Madras or Balti version depending on how hot you like it.
Some fresh ginger, garlic, red onions, whole and ground coriander, whole and ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground ginger, garam masala and a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Base sauce.

Gently fry three finely sliced red onions in a fair amount of oil (it can be spooned off later) until soft and caramelised, add two finely-chopped cloves of garlic and around an inch cube of finely chopped ginger and continue to fry for a further two minutes. Pour the whole lot into a blender along with a tin of chopped tomatoes and blend until smooth.

Method.

Fry a medium a finely sliced onion in oil and when browned, move the onions to one side, reduce the heat and add a tablespoon of the curry paste to the oil and stir gently. Add some cold water in small stages, as the paste absorbs the water it will thicken so keep adding water to stop it burning. As soon as it stops thickening, add a tsp of whole cumin and coriander and let cook for around 30 secs. before stirring in the onions. Mix everything together then add the meat of your choice - chicken is the best. Stir-fry the chicken until it turns white and is partially cooked through then sprinkle on a tsp each of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and the ginger then stir all together. Finally, add the base sauce and continue to cook. You will know when its ready because the sauce will thicken and the oil will `puddle`. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a couple of hours to mature and then remove the excess oil (this can be put in a clean jar and used again).

When ready to eat, warm through again and just before serving, stir in some dried Methi (fenugreek) or curry leaves if you have them before stirring in a final tsp of garam masala.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 04:07 PM

I have made this a few times in the past and it is very nice. I usually BBQ the chicken pieces after marinating to give it more of a Tandoori taste, then add to the frying pan. I have also made a vegetarian version using Quorn fillets.

Chicken Tikka Masala

Ingredients
chicken tikka
500g (1 lb) boneless, skineless chicken breasts, cubed
5ml (1 tsp) fresh root ginger, finely chopped
5ml (1 tsp) garlic, finely chopped
5ml (1 tsp) chili powder
1.25ml (¼ tsp) turmeric
15ml (1 tbsp) ground coriander
5ml (1 tsp) salt
150ml (¼ pint) natural yogurt
60ml (4 tbsp) lemon juice
45ml (3 tbsp) coriander leaves
15ml (1 tbsp) lime juice
masala sauce
50g (2 oz) ghee or 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2.5cm (1 inch) piece of fresh root ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 cardamoms, bruised
10ml (2 tsp) garam masala
10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
2.5 – 5ml (½ – 1 tsp) chili powder
300ml (½ pint) double cream
30ml (2 tbsp) tomato purée
60ml (4 tbsp) hot water
2.5ml (½ tsp) sugar
2.5ml (½ tsp) salt

Instructions
First, prepare the chicken. Mix together the chicken, ginger, garlic, chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander, salt, yogurt, lemon juice and 15ml (1 tbsp) chopped coriander in a large, non-metallic dish. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.

To make the masala sauce, heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a large casserole. Add the onions, ginger, garlic and fry over a low heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until soft but not browned.

Add the spices and fry, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then add the cream, tomato purée, water, sugar and salt. Bring to the boil over a moderate heat, stirring, then lower the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand while cooking the chicken.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread on wooden skewers. Cook under a preheated grill, turning frequently, for 6-8 minutes until tender and cooked through.
Remove the cubes of chicken from the skewers and put them in the masala sauce. Place over a low heat and simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining chopped coriander leaves and the lime juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Shall we go to Judds Friday night for Curry and LDs Saturday night Sweets? I'll bring along some home made shamis you bring the wine
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Shall we go to Judds Friday night for Curry and LDs Saturday night Sweets? I'll bring along some home made shamis you bring the wine
That sounds very good to me LQ.
I will bring the wine.

Thanks Guys. I will let you know how I get on. Unless you would like to demonstrate.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 04:59 PM

Thought you'd have a few recipes living where you do.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Thought you'd have a few recipes living where you do.
Oh I have, its authentic stuff here alright Still like jars of Pataks best though
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 07:29 PM

Here's one..

JustEat.com
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 08:49 PM

I'll knock up a cardamom kulfi as well
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

12-07-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'll knock up a cardamom kulfi as well
I'm looking forward to that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top