Join for free
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

22-07-2018, 11:04 AM

House martins

Some may remember that I have had house martins nesting on my home. Last year they never really got going. Very slow to build nest which never really got completed and was never used. This year they arrived VERY late (June) and built a nest in record time, but then seemed to disappear. But in the past week or two some have been back, and I think there may be a mum sitting in there...Hope so!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Re: House martins

Exciting times Ania, are you able to see if there are any eggs in the nest or would you have to wait for little squeaks and heads to appear?
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

22-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Have to wait and see Mags. Their nests are impossible to see into!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 12:45 PM

That would be so nice. House Martins were my favourite bird when I was a kid but I haven't seen one for years now.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 12:53 PM

When we first moved here nearly 30 years ago House Martins were the prevalent birds. They used to nest in my guttering at the front of the house. Gradually their numbers dwindled and their "slot" was taken by Starlings, who also nested in the guttering.

This year there's nothing I think it's because of the 15 Red Kites circling this estate. I know they've been reintroduced in some places but there are far too many here and now there's no small birds at all

5 years ago there was 1 pair of Kites.
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

22-07-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That would be so nice. House Martins were my favourite bird when I was a kid but I haven't seen one for years now.
I love their movement in flight.
The first year I was in this house they were nesting and three babies were born. One met its demise quite early but the other two did well. I think I posted photos here at the time. Then one day the nest disappeared and I never knew if the two young had fledged or were killed by a predator...
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Thought you meant the band

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top