Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Re: Hedgehogs.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Puddleduck,the hogs were always in my garden last year,I put out bought hog food,it was always gone in the morning,..but the problem is,how do I know that they ate the food,same if you put out chicken,online it showed you how to build a small house,to put the food in for them,so cats,fox etc,don't get it first.

I too, love to see the hedgehogs, I've always liked them, but leaving food out at night worries me.

I'd be worried about inviting rats to dine.

We've had rat problems twice here, I even stopped feeding my wild birds for a while because of it. Damn things were getting on the bird tables.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 08:45 PM

I havent seen any here ,but my niece in basingstoke has been cutting holes in her fence fior them to get through
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I've heard of a couple drowning in ponds locally.

Poor things are struggling at the moment. The ground here is like rock and no sight of slugs ,snail or worms.

Do they eat chicken ? I read somewhere that they do .
We can get Hedgehog Museli too, which I was about to buy online , until the final cost popped up. It was almost the same for postage as it was for the food. So I decided not to bother.

There was a problem on local tv last night, saying the numbers being handed in to a rescue centre have sored this year. The poor little critters are having a hard time this year.

One of the local rescues near me is inundated with them too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Meg
My son leaves his utility room door open at night for the cats (the farmhouse is set in fields ) and they had a hedgehog who came in and ate the cat food so started putting food out and now have a family of hedgehogs who come to the door for food.
This was the first one....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	6578  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I too, love to see the hedgehogs, I've always liked them, but leaving food out at night worries me.

I'd be worried about inviting rats to dine.

We've had rat problems twice here, I even stopped feeding my wild birds for a while because of it. Damn things were getting on the bird tables.

I agree Mups,I have decided not to leave food out any more,and yes you are right,"Rats",...I had one,size of a baby rabbit,saw it a week ago,with a baby bird in its mouth,it was under my decking,I have since put rat poisen down,away from the other wildlife,I haven't seen it,and just now,when watering my garden,I can smell its decaying body,under the decking,I too,took in,the fat balls,left the sunflower seeds and crushed peanuts.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:18 AM

I remember back in the 1970’s. After recently getting married and moving into our first house in East London. In the far corner of the front garden behind the street hedge. The properties water mains tap was encased in an earthenware pipe about 18 inches below ground level. One day we happened to be in the front garden doing a spot of tidying up. When I noticed at the bottom of the pipe clinging to the tap was a hedgehog. I had no idea how long it had been there and it had absolutely no chance of getting out by itself and would have eventually just starved to death. So after a spot of digging. I had to completely remove the earthenware pipe and gently persuade it to let go of the tap. It was still alive so we placed it in a quiet corner with some water and some sort of food. I can’t recall what. But after a few hours it vanished. So presumably it had recovered.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
This was the first one....

To have a hog,feed like that,is an amazing site to me and quite honestly an honour,...but they do love peaceful,rural surroundings,..I am near a field,with quite a bit of,natural habitat for them,..they used to visit my garden a lot last year,haven't seem in a while,only under that block of flats,very early morning.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

27-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
I remember back in the 1970’s. After recently getting married and moving into our first house in East London. In the far corner of the front garden behind the street hedge. The properties water mains tap was encased in an earthenware pipe about 18 inches below ground level. One day we happened to be in the front garden doing a spot of tidying up. When I noticed at the bottom of the pipe clinging to the tap was a hedgehog. I had no idea how long it had been there and it had absolutely no chance of getting out by itself and would have eventually just starved to death. So after a spot of digging. I had to completely remove the earthenware pipe and gently persuade it to let go of the tap. It was still alive so we placed it in a quiet corner with some water and some sort of food. I can’t recall what. But after a few hours it vanished. So presumably it had recovered.

What a kind thing to do,..so many wild animals are saved by us humans...to live another day,..precious !.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top